1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kid joining Air Force/Army

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Being a former bomb loader....I'd have to disagree. We are by trade, very versatile, jack of all trades type of folks that can do just about any job out of the AF. We have to have electronics abilities, mechanical abilities, able to work as a team, be responsible to and for others, adhere to strict safety standards, etc....the list goes on and on. Heck, just to get qualified is tough...almost squeaky clean physically and have good ASVAB scores...not many qualify for this career field.

As with any job in the AF...it isn't always about the career field that will make you a successful civilian...it's what you learn WHILE you in the military that will make you successful. I always said...the best job in the AF is the one you have. Make the best of what it affords you...

ofcounsel likes this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Ahhhhh the dreaded desk....I love how many people think some jobs are just "desk jobs", and cops just sit in their cars and drive around wasting gas eating donuts.
    Plumbers, electricians and carpenters are just guys that weren't smart enough for college, too. Such painful oversimplifications. Everyone's a part of something in their careers, cogs in a machine.

I was in your son's place once a long time ago...1990 to be exact. College wasn't exciting me in my home town. I needed to get out. I was a computer science major, but college just seemed like more of high school, but less structure. The military seemed like a good option at that time, too.

(It's never a bad option, as far as I'm concerned).

Did my own shopping for a branch of the service. Army said Tank Commander, Navy said Nuclear subs, and Air Force said Computer Operator. I looked at the long term market for all those options. Nuclear subs would have been the best training opportunity and the best career opportunity had I decided to make the military a career....but being from North Dakota I already hated no daylight from the long winters, so that wasn't an option. Tank commander.....just not my calling. So, the Air Force option complimented what I was in school for, and would put me out of the Service with real world experience and thus marketable in life after I got out. I cannot emphasize this enough. USE THE SYSTEM because THE SYSTEM IS GOING TO USE YOU. That's critical to choosing....someone else already said it...and I want to say it again....when you go into the military...think about your life AFTER the military when you make the initial decisions...play chess...not checkers with your life.

So I'm a USAF Veteran of 9 years and seven months. Never planned on doing 20..just doing enough to get what I wanted from Uncle Sam to prepare me for the rest of my career.
    Along the way, I met my first wife...and her Dad...he's a PhD in Geology. He got started in the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and parlayed that into a successful consulting career.
    Made VP. When I was 20 and met him, he was getting a $700/month car stipend. My parents house payment was $550/month. So I thought, "Hmmmmmm....maybe it pays to go back to school." So, while in the USAF, I leveraged my Tuition Assistance program vigorously. I got a Community College of the Air Force Degree, a certification in electronics, and a Bachelors Degree from the University of Maryland. I've made a decent living in IT in the service and in the almost 20 years since I got my DD214.

None of it was easy, and it was all about MY CHOICES along the way to succeed or fail...but if you asked me if I'd do it again...in a fuckin' heartbeat.

OH and as far as BAD ASS jobs...Air Force Para Rescue...those are some bad as mother fuckers. I was asked three times if I wanted to try by a Drill Instructor in 1990. I turned him down. Sometimes I regret that because it would have been a tremendous challenge. But, Oh well.

3. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

No disrespect Jon.

When you tell a person in the civilian world about your job in the military. Yours would take much more time to explain, VS many others.

If we didn't have bomb loaders, 90% of what we did to get the planes flying would have been worthless. I know that, most civilians don't.
    I was in heavy equipment before cross training into F-16 Avionics repair.
    Every job in the service is needed to make it all work.
    Thank you for your service.

#Jon Wilkens
    on Wilkens
    on Wilkens

ofcounsel likes this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your son has his head screwed on straight, way to go Dad!
    When I was his age the Viet Nam thing was in full bore mode. I stayed in college and got my BSNE degree. Looking back I regret not serving. I have the highest regard for those who do or did.
    D-Zum is right, use every opportunity that presents itself...that's what the opportunities are there for.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I also said I was going to be 4 and out the door, but here I am, 11 years and going.

He's got a lot more research to do if he thinks the Navy/Marines are limited to the water.

6. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your sacrifice and service.

He is 20 and his mind will change many times in the next 10 years so guide him into either branch and let him grow up and find his own way. Good luck to him and enjoy the journey.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

3rd generation US Navy here. Without a doubt AF has the best quality of life. Funny this came up, I'm actually participating in my neighbors daughters commissioning ceremony in the Army next weekend. Hope I can still fit into my uniform. Ha! I was an aircrew guy for years and I remember dropping off a bunch of Army reservists up in Maine in like the end of October or something. 36 degrees and pouring rain and those poor bastards were camping for the next 2 weeks. Never forgot the looks on their faces like "I signed up for this shit?".. My nephew is in the Coast Guard. Not a bad gig but takes awhile to make rank seems like. Any option he chooses give it his all, he will have life long friends and see things most never will have an opportunity to see. Cheers to him!

8. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

5 years Army.

The bastards in the Air Force that were stationed with us at Ft. Riley were given a sub standard living expense because they had to live in Army barracks. We didn't like them too much :crackup:

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

These are just two anecdotes that could either be damn good luck or a sign of what can be:

My good friend, lead guitar player in our band, he joined the Navy same time I was in the Coast Guard...80-84. He was an Electricians Mate and when he got out he found a job in San Diego at a small company called Cisco System. Yeah, that Cisco. Started in 84, he's now managing 600 people, works from home and makes $600K+ per year, along with all the stock he's accumulated over 30+ years.

His son joined the Navy as a submariner, went same rate as dad. He did 10 years, got out and is now an Electronics Technician on a tender in the Gulf of Mexico working 30 on, 30 off at $250K per year.

Sounds like electrical is the way to go!

600 dbl are likes this.
  10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:stupid:

Whatever he does, make sure it's a path that he can translate to civilian use (unless he plans on retiring from the Military). My brother did this with the AF as he went in as a mechanic. AF paid for his air frame and power plant certs and he walked into the commercial sector making very good money. We used to bag on the 11M's, telling them that last we checked Wal-Mart wasn't hiring greeting door gunners :D

11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Army can pick their job. Air Force has better living. I did the Army and I have been stationed with Air Force last 5 years...best if both worlds!! :beer:

12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

We need leaders.

My recommendation is college ROTC with a commission at the end for the Air Force.

But I am biased AF. :)

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@casjoker , If he has a proclivity for tactics and wants to get behind a gun, why not Pararescue?

One of my closest friends is a PJ and I’ve never seen someone more in love with his job. The pipeline is obviously extremely difficult, but the rewards are immense. They are elite operators, but their focus is right in their motto. “That Others May Live”. I can’t think of anything more bad ass.

The crazy thing is that a lot of people I’ve talked to in the Air Force don’t even know what a PJ is.

14. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I did 8 years Marine Corps active and reserve. Looking back, I wish I had taken the money in the Army. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and maxed out a few line scores, so I qualified for every job. Army was offering $40k for some jobs like computer, avionics, and communications. If your son doesn't plan on making a career out of it and only wants the scholarships and VA benefits, I'd tell him to take the money and run. 6 years in an "ehhhh" job for $40K? I'd take it and I recommend everyone not wanting to make a career in the military do it. Do their taxes right and they'll hardly pay anything on it, especially with the new standard deduction being 12K, have side business taking a loss and, well you know.

The only time I would not recommend someone chase the money is if they have a very specific role they want for their enlistment, or they want a career out of it. There's plenty of options to play with guns in the civilian world either personally or in law enforcement, now if he wants to stack bodies that's a military only role but were aren't in any huge conflicts that require stacking bodies so he'll train for it and fuck up all his joints but most likely will never get the chance to take down hajjis

Here's a link to the current Army bonus programs https://www.hrc.army.mil/asset/16675

40K for a 6 year contract as either a Cryptologic linguist or a Satellite communications operator or 20K/ 3, 25k/4, or $30K/5

You only need 3 years for full Post 9/11 GI benefits for school so it could be as simple as that take a 20K bonus, use Tuition assistance while he in to knock out a hand full of classes in his spare time and have his first year or two knocked out while he's in. Use 2 years of the GI bill and have 2 years left over for a masters or transfer to a wife/kid. I knew alot of guys that finished their whole bachelors in their 6-8 year contracts using only tuition assistance, that left all 4 years of their GI bill when they got out some transferred it to the wife/kids and some got their Masters/MBA or went to med/law school with it.

The other optional thing is have him take the DLAB for language, if he scores high enough he can enlist as a 35P (see 40K bonus above) and spend 6 months in Monetery learning whatever language. Those guys can and will deploy and see some cool shit. If you have the right language and jump through some other hoops he may get attached to an infantry unit that plays with the cool guns. I was originally offered to do Russian in the Corps and I turned it down like a dumbass 17yo would would.

casjoker and _indy like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is cool and good to hear, thinking about it while reading this thread putting stupid people in charge of that end of things could go really wrong really quick :D

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Good luck with your boy. Always good hear that someone wants to serve.
    I would let your son choose, guide him yes, but in the end its his choice.

Let's face it who out of any of us would be told what to do at 20 years old!

My son is going the AF Rotc route at N.C state Raleigh. His major is Physic's. Really proud of him. Just finishing up his freshman year. He always calls me excited about Rotc, enjoys the PT in the mornings and the team building stuff. Plus gets to do cool fun stuff with his carde.

Let us all know what route your son goes. Good luck to him and thank you to all for your service.

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

AIR FORCE!!!!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought you were Navy? :D

track wagon and ChemGuy like this.
  19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Spot fucking on my dude.

OP’s kid doesn’t know shit. That’s expected though. He might do the high speed low drag shit and enjoy it, I wouldn’t dissuade anyone but that only gets you so far. Your first priority joining the military should be to exploit the system for all its worth and assure your future. No one should buy into the America rah rah bullshit. Priority 1 is to use them, they will sure as hell use you!

Easiest way to get ahead in America and have a very well paying career? It’s simple. Join the Air Force (not the Army, I know because I joined the Army) and get a skilled technical job that requires an SCI clearance. Put in your time and go as far as you can and learn as much as you can. Get as much free education courtesy of the Air Force while you’re in. Get out and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get a STEM degree. Get paid to go to school and emerge debt free. Do that and keep your clearance active, you will never make under 6 figures again in your life and you’ll write your own ticket.

If you play it right, the military is by far one of the best ways to get ahead even if you come from a dirt poor background.

TurboBlew and track wagon like this.
  20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Well...the Navy has Top Gun, so they are the Air Force as well. :D