1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student loan forgiveness

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Pittenger5, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This, which is why I’m in the camp that feels the government needs to fix it.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And do you think they are going to "fix it" by removing themselves from the equation? If you answer yes then you haven't learned anything either.

crashman likes this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If you can't afford a $20000 car, a $5000 vehicle will get you where you are going. No need for full coverage insurance with a cheap car, so more savings there. You can skip the I phone 48 super S and get by for $35 monthly there. Your expenses need to be tailored to your income, not your desires.

cav115 likes this.
  4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Hell, they withheld my diploma for a $25 parking ticket.

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

When I started college, OOS tuition was around $22k/yr. Last year of 5 year program was $36k. 5 years later it was $43k. Don't care to see what it is now. But the rate of tuition increases probably screwed a few people over. My roommate had his last year loan denied cause tuition went up $4k. Electrical engineer.
    They put up something like 8 new buildings, most of which weren't classrooms. We had 'Business Centers' and "Innovation Centers". Pissed a bunch of people off that all this money was going to places that wasn't to increase student body size (aka, income), or anything to really benefit the students. Just getting fat off the loan money. Bubbles gonna burst eventually.

Keeping all my text books so I can home school kids through engineering college :crackup:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Motofun352 likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Forgiveness isn't fixing.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Too easy... get a roomate +$750
    Buy a cheaper or beater car +$150 You deserve what you can pay for

You are up to $1600 a month extra.

cav115, Photo and crashman like this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So when they start "fixing" the education shitshow and bailing out people with no basic math skills am I going to get money back for not biting off more than I can chew? I saved for my kids education and was not a stupid motherfucker that encouraged their kid to "chase their dreams" in a field with limited employment opportunities. Or do I get assfucked and end up subsidizing other people that I really do not care about again?

Fucking leeches...

Rebel635, cav115, tl1098 and 3 others like this.
  9. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I don’t have any “crushing” student debt .

Explain to me how this compromise helps me in any way ?

Banditracer likes this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If they want to forgive the debt they should give me the same amount in cash to make up for all the shit I didn't buy cause I couldn't afford it and was smart enough not to. I've never bought a new vehicle so gimme 60 grand so I can get a brand new truck.

knutz likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I would think it would come with changes to the programs. I believe they already have a bit. I don’t think you can get a government backed loan for a for-profit school.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do you get paid every time someone files for bankruptcy?

13. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Normally when someone files for personal bankruptcy the Feds don’t pay their bills :rolleyes:

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You don’t actually think those write-offs come out of the debt issuers profits do you? Everyone pays for that.

15. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Some do and some don’t . The difference being it’s not forcibly taken from by a government . It’s done through business and associated costs.

If student debt is forgiven the Feds will pay it . Which I will pay it . How the hell is this a compromise for me?

Normally in a compromise both sides get something they want. I get nothing and I’m fact lose .

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="crashman, post: 5518605, member: 34538" Or do I get assfucked and end up subsidizing other people that I really do not care about again?
    [/QUOTE]
    I assume that this is a rhetorical question.

cav115 and crashman like this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’d be fine with things going back to the way they were when public colleges were first founded. They were intended to be free or extremely low cost advanced educations for state residents to get degrees in fields that benefitted the state. If you wanted a worthless liberal arts degree you paid out of pocket for private school. I’m not sure what happened but I’m guessing it was the 60’s.

GixxerBlade and code3ryder like this.
  18. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I’m not too sure of the the reason for public universities in the beginning but, I could get behind this

GixxerBlade likes this.
  19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Mom and Pop Co. going thru bankruptcy generally does not make me pay more for a product than a large chunk of the population...

And I am fundamentally opposed to rewarding people for bad behavior. The bank and auto bail outs were bullshit. Bailing out people who payed more for a non essential product that they can not afford is bullshit too. Fuck them. Make it hurt. It will be a good life lesson. I should not have to help finance their shitty decisions.

Banditracer likes this.
  20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Getting more than a little tired of those of use who do things correctly getting shafted while we pay for the poor decisions of others.

Rebel635, cav115, Motofun352 and 2 others like this.