1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's going on with Grattan's pavement?

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Saw some pics on the facebooks and it looks pretty sketchy this year. Is the track condition going to affect the WERA races?

Joe Lopez likes this.
  2. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

The inside of turn one is a little chewed up, about 6 to 8 feet out from the apex. I avoided it most of the day on Sunday until the last couple of sessions, when I started riding over it. It didn't cause me any problems but I made sure to use a late apex and most of the sealer was slippery all day so the track was slow (and green). The chewed up part didn't feel as bad as it looked, but I'd want to walk it and have a good look before dive bombing somebody there.

3. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

That track surface gets worse every year at an exponential rate. Their solution, more sealer.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

FYI that place has been repaved many many times over the last 30 years so the mgt. knows it's important. And you sure can't say the same for many other tracks. So yes it's due and they are probably trying to figure out the when to do it.

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Yea but that special concoction of sealer is stickier than glue

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Unless it's wet...

2Big4Bike likes this.
  7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Only give it gas when you're on top of the tire. :)

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Or cold....

_indy and JBall like this.
  9. ton

ton Arf!

or laid fresh the day before

JBall and t11ravis like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just stay off the pavement and you'll be fine ;)

_indy, t11ravis and Wheel Bearing like this.
  11. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Turn 1 is falling apart in multiple places and water is leaching up thru the pavement (even though it hadn't rained that weekend) to the point where at least one of the STT Instructor's bike actually had mud on the upper fairing from being kicked up in turn one by the student he was following. The water was coming up toward the inside of the turn as previously stated, but also it is breaking up and seeping if you take a wide deep exit...but you're not carrying as much lean if you go that route.
    Turn 2 has cracks that are seeping water about six feet from the right side grass toward the exit.
    Turn 3 actually looked decent this past weekend.
    Turn 4 had some weird slippage, although it was dry.
    Turn 5 was in decent shape.
    Turn 6 had cracks with water seeping.
    Turn 7 had a little bit of water about 2 feet from the grass toward the exit.
    Turn 8 (the bowl) had multiple streamers of water and cracks throughout the weekend.
    Sweeper wasn't bad.
    Turn 9 (bus stop) had some fresh, shiny tar snakes, but was dry and slippery.
    Turn 10B (entering the straight) had a couple of spots of water about 3 feet from the apex throughout the weekend.

So, yeah it was pretty much April at Grattan.o_O

5axis, j cal and JBall like this.