1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy Colorado ZR2: Anyone own one?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 20, 2019.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Hey guys, as the title says...
    If you own one, can you tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly?
    I’m somewhat in the market for a new vehicle and keep looking at this and the Tacoma TRD Pro.
    I keep thinking the Toyota is bulletproof, but after some research, I see that they’ve hit a rough spell as far as reliability the last several years. I’ve not owned a GM product since my 1992 K1500.
    At the price these are going for, I just don’t want to make a huge financial mistake. FWIW, I plan on keeping this vehicle for the next decade, at least.
    Thanks for any help the all knowing beeb can offer.

2. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

My dad has one. It's the diesel. He seems to like it.

Sorry i can't be more helpful but it is a nice truck and seems very well built. Rides really nice for what it is.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I actually test drove one today. Liked it, didn't buy it because it was too fucking expensive, like all trucks...:D

sharkattack and R1Racer99 like this.
  4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I brought my '08 Tacoma in for a recall recently, while I was waiting I was checking out a used Tacoma thinking maybe it would be a nice replacement. Turns out the fucking thing was over 40 grand. For a used Tacoma. No wonder my old truck has barely depreciated in the 5 years I've had it, why spend $40k when you can get something similar but more reliable for $15k?

sharkattack likes this.
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Which recall?

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

price them out, compare to a 1500 and you will see, the 1500 is the better value, unless you MUST HAVE a mid sized truck. we had a thread on here VERY RECENTLY, on this same subject. Ski

bored&stroked and ducnut like this.
  7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Frame corrosion. I took it in for the inspection and they gave it an undercoating. The previously brown undercarriage is now black again, they even hit the rusted hitch with it. Pretty happy with not needing a new frame and a getting a newer looking truck for free.

Bloodhound likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yes. Yes we did. :D

9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Brother bought a diesel. He likes it.

Attached Files:

masshole likes this.
  10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Damn, I must’ve missed it. Can you help a brother out with a link to the discussion?

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It was me looking for info on them in the used market. Nothing really relevant to your question.

12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I've been looking for a decent full size SCSB that isn't in work truck configuration, they're like hens teeth and stupidly overpriced when you can find one. I just expanded my search to see if the Colorado/Canyon would fit the bill in extended cab config, as I don't need to carry/pull much. For me it would and I can now expand my search to the used market as well. No desire to own another full size quad cab or the like for daily driver duties.

13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

sharkattack likes this.
  14. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

My uncle took his in and they put a brand new frame under his.

15. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

If you're looking at one, the diesel is the only way to go. I test drive the 6 cylinder when I was looking for a new truck and it is gutless. My wife's Nissan Rogue feels like it has more power.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Join the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon group on FB. There’s tons of good info on there.

Two friends own them. One just got his Quad Cab, LB, V6, 4X4, last week. Another has the same configuration, but, with the diesel. That truck is deleted, tuned, has exhaust, and put down 255rwhp/475lbft. Both guys really like them.

17. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

I have a 2017, gas. I like everything but the transmission and its programming.

Hasn't been without its issues and dealership visits, either.

18. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Curious what you found out about Tacomas?
    I don't know about the 3.5 as it is a newer model. That engine has been used by toyota for several years though before coming to the Tacoma.
    I got a 4.0 v6 2014 with 70k on it. No issues at all and maintenance is easy as everything is easy to get to.

My dad had a 2005 Colorado. Its a piece of junk but I am betting that it has changed a lot.

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I laugh when I see new vehicle prices. $50k base suburban's. $30k for a base 6cylinder pickup. F all that noise. They aren't worth it.
    Old colorado's were crap. Hopefully the new version is much better. Putting the 3.6L in instead of the 4.3L was a terrible decision so I'm guessing not.
    Everyone I know who buys a taco [cause nobody buys colorados, there were crap before and insanely expensive now] has ended up getting a full size truck next. Skip the mini I say.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah