1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with pinch bolts

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Apr 20, 2019.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I’ve bought a klt 650 and need to change tires. The front pinch bolts are Allen heads and are way too tight. I’ve gotten one loose. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Use a brand new wrench/socket, heat the side where the threads are, smack the wrench/socket with a hammer when it's inserted into the head of the bolt then try to loosen it.

Heat alone may do it.

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Definitely give the allen socket a good whack with a hammer before trying to break it loose. As stated above heat helps.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Don't remove one completely. They share the clamping load. If you remove one completely you are causing the second to carry more clamping pressure against the threads. That alone will make it more difficult to remove. Put the one you took out back in and return it to the specified torque while you work on the second. Once that one is broken loose remove then a turn at a time going back and forth. Once you get them out use the same procedure to reinstall.

Wheel Bearing, pfhenry, G 97 and 13 others like this.
  5. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

By heating them and shock loading by hammer struck I’ve gotten one more out. But I’m afraid I’m screwed in that one rounded off Its time to calm down. Thanks for your help

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, take your time, maybe go up to the next size allen - or try a US one that is hair larger. Maybe try a flat screwdriver if you have one you can drive in there then put a wrench on it to turn. Lots of options :D

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Sometimes a torx bit will act as an extractor when an allen gets rounded inside. Hand impact wrench helps.

turner38, beechkingd, buzz-06 and 5 others like this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Last resort, weld a nut on the end. There will be a good heat source and a good traction bolt. I hate Allen and tors drives being a tech.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Heat and patience...

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Smack it flat with a hammer. The metal that got pushed out will get hammered back in. I would install and tighten that bolt's mate, as mentioned above, before attempting to remove the one you may be able to get a bite on now.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

And an impact driver.

[​IMG]

5axis, 88/532, TLR67 and 3 others like this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I had one in a Valkrie last year that I couldn't get out. Did heat, torx bit, welded nuts on it, couldn't get a good enough weld to hold. Ended up having to drill the fucker out. That was fun... :mad:

14. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Mouse Milk

beechkingd likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

kroil or a similar penetrant along with the dead blow force suggested.

16. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Old school and works every time I’ve used mine.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the ones u removed, put some anti-seize on them and reinstall to the correct torque spec. then work on the others. or replace them and reinstall if they are mangled.

18. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

if everything else fails just drill the head off, once the head is off there should be no tension on the threaded part

R1Racer99 likes this.
  19. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Only prob with drilling the head off is the shank is recessed and given low torque rating of fork pinch bolts, I wouldn't count on the issue being related to bolt tension.

20. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

delicate use of a thin cutoff wheel between the slit. magnets. think about the game operation when nicking the sides lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019