1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making America Great

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Apr 13, 2019.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not arguing with the statistics, I just find it ironic that you make an emphatic statement that a two-parent household is better for children, followed by an admission that you and your wife failed the kid and it was her fault, which implies that you probably would have done better on your own.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Those aren't "my" conclusions, that's just the way shit works. Marriages that work tend to have those things in common. Just like winning race teams seem to usually follow the same basic patterns. You don't build a successful partnership by being a dumb, unstable, selfish asshole. Marriages that have those kinds of people in them usually FAIL, leading to the correlation that kids raised in stable marriages are usually in a better environment than kids raised in broken homes.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My eyes glazed over and refused to let me participate in this discussion about two pages back, but I'll take a stab at defining a "better" outcome. In simplest terms, I think that we could all agree that becoming a productive citizen is better than not doing so. Again, the presence of two parents is one of the biggest single indicators for that outcome. That is, quite simply, an inarguable fact. Statistical outliers do not negate a basic premise. I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I would wager that being the only male child in an otherwise all female household is one of the biggest indicators of the future ability to change the parameters of an argument rather than concede a point.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't know that. I'd say that our "two parent home" rarely, if ever, actually functioned like a two parent home. So when I say "two parent", I actually mean two involved, responsible, caring adults.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not discrediting any argument as there isn't one. I did discredit your initial post in this thread by calling it bullshit because well....it was :crackup: Even your own experience argues against your conclusions about two parent households.

No one anywhere is arguing that the stats show what you say they do. Because well, that is what they show. Saying there is more to it all than just those specific stats is NOT an argument against them. That part is in your head. It is just a comment on stats in general and how one area doesn't show enough. My opinion nothing more and still nowhere does it say the stats are wrong or they don't exist. Not showing enough isn't the same as wrong...

BTW - your restated conclusion that marriages work because those who stay married are more stable or any of the other stuff on your list is ridiculous. Marriages are way more complex than that and work for a ton of different reasons. Hell, mine works because I'm too stubborn to go back on a promise I made and in order to keep that promise I do all sorts of things I wouldn't necessarily do if I were single.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

They're not your conclusions. You're parroting what you've read and passing it off as gospel.

Sarchasm claims another victim...

Like the Great Pumpkin said, so her daughter wouldn't have been better off with you, solo, than she was with you two together?

And here's where I shut my mouth

crashman likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um.

Yes those are YOUR conclusions. There are no stats out there that will remotely prove your theory as to why people stay married. There are plenty of marriages with one partner being unstable as fuck that stay together for a myriad of reasons.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why does your marriage work Mongo?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agree productive is a good line, problem is that's another argument. I find McDonalds cashiers to be truly productive when I'm ordering lunch but other would disagree that they are better than a college educated businessperson.

And yet again - no one is arguing the stats. Well, Dern might be, I don't pay attention to everything he says :crackup:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keep reading....

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So now you're changing the definition of a two parent home?

Let me get this right, you made your conclusion not based on ALL two parent homes but just on the ones where the parents fit your conclusion?

Well, that does make sense of sorts :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ever known people to stay together for the kids or because they can't afford to get divorced or just out of spite or or or or? Interpersonal relationships are way to complex to have just one reason why people stay married or to draw any conclusions about their stability or ability to parent.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do the statistics make that distinction?

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I put the cashier and the educated on equal levels when financials are excluded from the question. One cannot work without the other. When I worked, we have a front receptionist that was truly amazing welcoming everybody. I heard Rex Tillerson speak of her at one time because she took her job serious and everyone felt welcomed when they walked into the building. If the cleaning crews don't do their job, then someone has to restock the bathrooms, make the coffee, clean the breakrooms, etc instead of doing their own work. It takes a team.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. All are absolutely productive.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Mine, as with most disfunctional marriages, ended in divorce, knocking it out of the discussion.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wasn't asking about yours.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes and no. If they're conscious enough to "stay together for the kids" or even to stay together because they're better off financially, that's usually a sign that they're decent enough people to be good parents.

You guys are free to nitpick, anecdote, and question all day, but the truth is, we're talking about millions of kids, from millions of relationships, over decades, all filtering down to one generalization.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I didn't change any definition. Two "parents" means two people involved in the parenting. Everything else is an extrapolation based on societal norms.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator