1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Basic Income

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Feb 13, 2019.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I suppose if it's inevitable then can we at least make it come with mandatory sterilization?

2. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Fixed..

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Food, water, pestilence, conflict or disease will take us out. There is probably a theoretical maximum population the planet will support.

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I think we're passed that and using GMOs to prop up humanity. If the US wasn't able to pump out the amount of food we do, then I think starving nations would just starve. My own theory...

5. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Because of my 7 months of unemployment last year I actually qualified for almost $400 of earned income credit. I paid in a whopping $1,500ish and I'm getting back just over $1900. I'm certainly not giving the money back, but if it the EIC was never there to begin with or went away, I wouldn't give a damn.

6. Trunxgp1224

Humans throw away about half of the food we produce, so in theory we could double the population in areas but not wasting the food.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Good thing food is the only resource humans need...

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I don't fault anyone that takes full advantage of the system (unless they are in government). And basically the idea behind the EIC is a good one. Instead of going from full welfare to full self supporting make the transition easier in hopes more take it. This would obviously not apply to you since you were going to go back into the land of employed regardless of government. So on that basis I generally support EIC. I do question the level of $$ which stuff occurs at and have read stuff on how much people can live on (equivalent) when they get various forms of government support. If the numbers are valid and not wildly biased it is too high.
    To assume a system with zero waste is invalid on its face, doesn't exist. Further there is the logistics of transport etc. It sounds great but so does theoretical communism and we know that one is 100% @#$#ed

PS Congratulations on the new work and hope you don't have to go through that again. Hopefully you had an emergency fund before the last one and it was not to horrible.

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I am only cool with EIC if all welfare is eliminated. That wont happen. We will get to pay both and for that reason I am against it and will remain so.

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

We passed that 12,000 years ago when man began the transition from hunter gatherer to farmer. Current population levels are sustainable only with technology. In ecology a meta-stable population is about 10% of the biomass that supports it. With 3D printing, genetic engineering, advanced biotech and space resources the planet could support tens of billions.

The limit to human population regardless of technology level isn’t absolute numbers, it’s our ability to manage or eliminate negative feedback loops between society and our host environment. Historical population crashes absent extraordinary events (meteor impact, volcano whatever) were all the result of environmental feedbacks that killed off the human population.

Man-made climate change is just a new a global iteration on the same phenomenon that’s happened to many societies.

A group of astronomers and biologists developed a very interesting study about this phenomenon. They modeled a species agnostic technological civilization and used data from historical societal collapses to determine what possible fates could befall A planetary civilization.

https://www.rochester.edu/newscente...zation-make-it-through-climate-change-322232/

My vote for our likely fate is number 4. Collapse with resource change. IE we make the change to low-impact technology but too late to avoid disaster.

11. Trunxgp1224

I live way under my means. I was laid off from oil and gas Jan 2016 didn't get a job till September. Had that job from September 2016, bought a house in December and was laid off when they outsourced the accounting department in April 2018. Went back to O&G November 2018. So I've been unemployed like 15 months in the last 38 and never once been concerned about making ends meet.

Not zero waste but drastically reducing it. Just to think that half of everything is wasted is insane, growing it just to not sell it and let it rot?

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

One of the problems with this prediction is that you
    have no idea how many other factors will change.
    It's difficult to impossible to imagine the future using
    only the knowledge you have in the present.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So what is the purpose of these people who have no job? Society really has no need for leeches. Perhaps I will fall in to that category but if you are just wasting oxygen by being there you are pretty much like tits on a boar...

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Good question. Food? Energy sources for our electronic overlords?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Soylent green....

16. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

They vote

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Man you almost sounded rational and sane then you had to go all global warming :crackup:

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thats the problem. They vote for whoever promises the most free stuff.

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’m in favor of all science, not just the science that supports my ideology. Look at the data and studies and decide for yourself. Some people don’t want to acknowledge climate change, some people don’t want to acknowledge that there are 2 genders.