1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodged a bullit (er...tornado)

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A tornado passed 1/4 mile from me on Sunday night. EF -2 with 130 mph winds. Holy Sheet! It took trees that were 3 feet in diameter and just tore them out of the ground. I was lucky as just had tree damage but no structures got damaged. The local trailer homes and barns got hammered though. 3 days without power and still no phones in service. The plus side is I haven't had someone try to fix my student loans......

cpettit likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

One year in Iowa, we had just finished our hunt for the day, and while driving home it was dark. We knew there were storms coming, and it was very windy. You could see corn silage in the headlights blowing across the roads. During one flash of lightning, about 500 feet in front of us, I saw a faint outline and ground cloud of a small tornado! Both my brother and my dad told me I was full of shit. But, when we got to the bar about an hour later, the news confirmed it.

It was pretty wild, and I remember it vividly.

I'm glad you were untouched!

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You bought a lottery ticket, right?

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I saw my share of those growing up in North Dakota....they're an impressive display of Nature's power.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Here I was thinking you almost got run over buy a Mustang leaving a car show.

Rebel635, Mot Okstef and MCW like this.
  6. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I grew up in Oklahoma and learned to keep up with weather. We don’t get it so bad in NC, but my son and I did watch one pass a couple of miles from our house a few years back. We couldn’t see contact with the ground, but we were able to make out the top end of the funnel. Today is supposed to be a bumpy ride.

7. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you’re ok Jack. See you in a few weeks.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My best friend had an EF1 pass directly over his house last Friday. Wiped out half his trees yet the house was not touched.

[​IMG]how many vaults in fallout 4
    [​IMG]

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Weekly occurrence where I live. Last Saturday’s wind event tossed a 11’ long 8” dia oak limb onto and through the roof of my metal RV cover. Yesterday we had no less than 2 tornadoes just a couple of miles on both sides of my house. Straight line winds were at least 60-80 mph that I witnessed with surrounding trees in the woods. Stuff down everywhere. Power was out 3 hours yesterday.

The weather is crazy here now days. Always was a little sketchy but now it’s like every other day we have an event of some type. Trees have cost me a lot of money over the years at old house and the trend continues at new house. I hate trees!

My Saturday tomorrow will be spent repairing my RV cover with new tin 12’ up. Metal cover did it’s job, toy hauler would be totaled with that size limb hitting the roof. Stupid limb flew 30’ in the air to land on the RV cover roof. Amazing wind power. Limb was at least 100’ High up on the tree so it came down with some force. I had a tree cutter come out Tuesday and clean up the tree. Trees are the gift that keeps on giving.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This time last year our neighbourhood took a hit along with a chunk of the town. We got lucky. Many other people didn't. It was bad.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This reminds me there is some good about living up here in the frozen north, at least we don't have to deal with hurricanes or tornado's. Although Ottawa did get hit with tornadoes last fall.

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We had a small one this past week. Took down a small tree in the backyard,then the same storm made its way across the bay and tore up delaware a little bit. My wife and daughter got a serious talking to about it the next day,because as it passed over the house they were upstairs getting the GD! chinchilla.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They can appear pretty quickly too. If you're outside the weather can roll in quick and catch you with your pants down pretty quick. Good to have a cell phone with cmas alerts on. Had a few occasions out in the woods or places visibility to what was coming minimal and the cell freaking out might have been our savior.

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Well all we got in Alaska is earthquakes...

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yup.....the cell phones were going off like crazy at around 1:30 am for ours that just happened.Otherwise we would have slept through it despite being a small one......but you never know what they can do until its too late. My wife survived the big one back in 2002........it wiped out every house around but her parents house that she and our oldest daughter were in,down in the basement.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dammit, every time this thread comes back to the top, I think there is a new Dodge Bullit.

17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I was living in OKC back in May '99 when those tornados hit Moore, Norman, Tinker and Midwest City. My first ever experience with any tornado (born/raised in Syracuse). I was too stupid to be scared, until I felt, heard, then saw the f5 funnel. That's when a few drops of pee came out.

Missed my store by 1/4 mile as well. The devastation I witnessed the next day was unreal. Entire neighborhoods leveled. There was a ford dealership on the eastbound side of I40. The next day the lot was EMPTY. All of their inventory was gone. Some across the highway on top of buildings.

Glad it missed you Moto.

18. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Too cold for sharknados, but watch out for bearricanes ...

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Goddamn, look at the distance some of those covered.