1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2019 | Round 3 | USA | April 12 -14

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

According to Google Maps we drove 556 miles from our driveway to COTA. If we had really wanted to, we could have made it in only 8 1/2 hours. We took our time and got out and stretched every couple of hours so it took a little longer.

I can only compare COTA to Brno, but the spectator experience in Austin was better, at least for cheapskates. We got the cheapest "silver" GA tickets in Brno, so we were far more limited in the areas we could access. Also, my plantar fasciitis was much worse when we went last year, so walking was much more problematic. There were plenty more views available, but the amount of walking was just too much for me, so we stayed at the bottom of horsepower hill (because it was the closest GA spot to the entrance) and listened to the glorious thunder of the bikes firing up the hill every 2 minutes.

In Austin we were able to get around much more and see qualifying and the races from several different places. We watched all qualifying sessions from turn 16, Moto3 from turn 3, Moto2 from turn 15, and MotoGP from turn 1. And getting around the track was much easier, mostly due to the pedestrian bridges. Brno has some tunnels, but they are further apart and require "gold" GA or higher tickets.

Language barrier was slightly more problematic in Brno, but there were so many English speakers that it was only a problem away from the track, and even then we only ran into a few people who didn't speak English well enough to communicate. I think we ran across more people in Austin who didn't speak English than Brno, but they spoke Spanish so I could cheat because I also speak Spanish.

Parking Lot T at COTA was only rough because we arrived just as the massive downpour/thunderstorm that cancelled FP3 finished turning it into a massive mud wrestling pit. Fortunately we drove the Rav4 with its awesome part time AWD, so I can pretend I've gone offroading now.

Anyway, now that we've been to my "birthday" track in Brno and the "local" track in Austin, it's time to start picking where to go next year. I'm torn between Jerez, Phillip Island, and Valencia.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Now I'm slightly bummed that I didn't get the race winners bike on camera. Unfortunately Mir's B bike was the only one that was wheeled out from the garage at the time.

3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I’m slightly bummed that I didn’t take a pic of Millers/Bagnia bike when we walked with it right up until they rolled into the back of a Sprinter...I got these too bc they were the only ones on display at the time.
    IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Interesting front brake setups.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

So THATS why they're so fast! :D

6. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Are the 2019 MotoAmerica races on YouTube?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're on their video streaming service. All the classes.

8. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Regarding Laguna - no. My understanding is it doesn't currently meet FIM specs for GP. Superbike and Indy are considered a step down from F1/GP and thus ok to run. Runoff would need to be increased. The garages need an expansion and overhaul. They're rebuilding the tower so I can't say whether that would need further improvement. The spectator facilities are minimal (and rustic) at best. You don't get the feeling you're attending a world class event. Just having bathrooms and concession on par with the average baseball stadium would be a huge plus.

I'm told Weathertech is spending some money there prior to the WSBK race since they've taken over sponsorship from Mazda. I've got my hopes up. Selfishly I want the crowds to stay big enough to keep hosting the event, but not be jam packed like the GP events were. I like the old school rural feel of the whole place.

9. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

I'm too young to remember the real old school layout:

I've grown up with the "pond" and the Andretti hairpin.

10. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I was at the Sea Otter Classic (mountain/road bike event) and the attendance was good but what was sad was the amount of vendors... IT WAS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

laguna.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo into the sun. Back in the day, this is what it used to look like for MGP/WSBK.... now it's just a shell of that (barely even that).

600 dbl are likes this.
  11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I'm probably in the minority on this, but Monza to me is boring. I get the history and I get the speeds, it's just dull IMO.

dieterly likes this.