1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP Vs td

Discussion in 'Tech' started by senate8293, Apr 17, 2019.

1. senate8293

senate8293 Active Member

Does anyone know the difference between the Supercorsa sp and the new td and why the td is cheaper

2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Interesting. And in ULWT and LWT bike sizes.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The Diablo Supercorsa SP tires were/are designed first as OEM tires for many new bike applications like Aprilia, Honda, Ducati, and MVs. The front is single compound and the rear is bi-compound. The center compound of the rear is there to give increased mileage, but if you want mileage you need to look at the Diablo Rosso II or the Rosso III. And note these are only available in big bike (600cc & above) sizes and they're great track day tires.

The new Diablo Supercorsa TD tires are both single compound. These TD tires have more performance than the SPs but are not as grippy as the true race tires. These are designed for track day events as a longer lasting and less expensive option vs. the race tires.

To summarize these DOT tires
    Diablo Supercorsa SP, limited sizes with good track performance but are more street orientated
    Diablo Supercorsa TD, wide size range and more performance than the SPs but not to the level of the race tires
    Diablo Supercorsa SC, widest range of sizes and compounds and the best DOT race tires in the market

DmanSlam and Ian Waters like this.
  4. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Get the TD tire over the SP.

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Link to where you can order them? I didn't see anything on Pirelli's main website about the TD version. Need rubber for a set of 08 R1 wheels.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pirelli race and track day tires are sold by vendors listed on this website www.pirelliracer.com

7. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Checked the sizes available and I have an issue. I'm fitting an 08 R1 swingarm on a project bike. Stock R1 size is a 190, not available in the TD line. Size up to the 200/55, or down to the 180/60 or /55? HP will be around 120hp. Leaning towards 180.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Depends on wheel size and swingarm clearance. A 180/60 is designed for a 5.50 wheel while the 200/55 is designed for a 6.00 rim. The 180/60 is 190mm and has a diameter of 656mm. The 200/55 is 195mm and is the same 656mm diameter.

YoshiHNS likes this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten some seat time on the TDs, preferably someone that has ridden a Q3+ or Q4? Considering swapping to them this year.

10. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Seconded, would like to know.

Brian_J likes this.
  11. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I actually just raced on the TD this last Saturday. Track was cold and wet all morning which is why I purchased the TD in first place. Pirelli trailer was out of rains..

I ended up running A Superstock and first 4 or 5 laps bike was glued! Second half of the race I lost all drive and rear was stepping out more and more as race continued. Front felt super stable tho and tires are capable of very strong times. Tire wear also looks great still! Not quite as strong as a slick but very fast tire! I was told by James Bock they are like a SC2.5 as far as compounds go..

Unfortunately I have no seat time on a Q anything so can't compare..

Senna and Prospect like this.
  12. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

This isn't accurate, not sure where that info came from.

13. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Info came from the Southeast Pirelli vendor trackside.. If it's not accurate then what is?

14. Hun Park

Hun Park Member

The TDs have been out for a few months now... curious if anyone can share their experience with them. I see Pirelli touts these as not needing tire warmers, but assuming warners would still be ideal?

My main concern is whether tire longevity is better on these compared to an SP or SC on more taxing situations (i.e., a high hp liter bike without traction control). I understand outright grip would be SC>TD>SP, but trying to figure out best bang for buck..

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

FWIW, both myself on a 300 and my friend on a 400 only got three days out of the rear on the TD. Front had maybe another day left on it when I took them off. They had great grip, but longevity? Not in my experience.

My friend on a ZX-10R had good experiences with the Metzeler CompKs, which also don't require warmers. Got through to A group on them pretty quickly. Their TD seems to just be an evolution of that tire. That's what I'd go with if I just wanted a track-day tire.

https://moto-garage.com/collections/hot-sellers/products/racetec-slick-td?variant=32308744028253

16. Hun Park

Hun Park Member

3 days isn't bad! That's about how long my SCs seemed to last when I was on my R3 a couple years back.

I'll check out the CompKs. Thanks!

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Just curious, what's your pace like?

What would have been an acceptable number of days at that pace, in your opinion, given all the other performance aspects of that tire since you appear to be disappointed with the longevity you observed?

wheelz96 likes this.
  18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Same question as above for you, considering you got the same observed usable life out of a set of race compound DOTs. How many days of use would be acceptable to you?

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’m slow. I run I group pace at BFR/ACC. I was running A group times at the last track I was at, for whatever it’s worth.

On a 300, my expectation was I’d get half a season out of those tires at I group pace, so about 6 days for me. That is probably more based on the fact that it seems everyone says “you can go a whole season on a set of tires with a 300.”

The tire was awesome, just didn’t last as long as what guys are seeing out of race rubber, but that’s not a fair comparison and I get that.

20. Hun Park

Hun Park Member

I’m not winning races if that’s what you’re asking:(
    but used to ride in group A on my R3 no problem (at least on tracks that don’t have massive straights like Chuckwalla).

The question of tire longevity is something I still haven’t quite figured out. Especially with the multitude of variables like excessive track heat (again Chuckwalla), suspension changes, fiddling with psi, and heat cycles. That said, I’d often decide a tire was done based on the tire wear visually as I am sadly not at the level where I can comfortably push to the point of sliding the tire.

An acceptable number of days for tire life? I don’t know yet.. that’s what I’m trying to determine for my new-to-me zx10r. I’m trying to figure out which combo provides the best ratio of cost/grip/longevity. And based responses like Senna’s I’m thinking tire life between the SC and TD is not terribly different under moderate conditions.