1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Miata Cup Car, clapped out as hell, back straight of Road Atlanta - 108mph. And the front end was light as hell. Shit eating ear to ear grin the whole time.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I have a base 3000GT. Still an awesome car. Only modification was the beefier sway bars which pretty much eliminated the understeer. 200k and no major issues if you ignore the required rebuilds every 60k. Not the sportiest sports car, but it was a great GT car. Did 12+ hour days in it no problem, and managed to get 30+ mpgs. Rather have it than a 3 series. Still keeping an eye out for an unmolested VR4.

rd400racer likes this.
  3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I'm on board with everything you said except for the part where the engine should be in the back. I think a true Ferrari should have a V12 up front.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Mmmmmm....GTO...250 GTB SWB....NART Spider......275 /4

Yes please....

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

What's the word on AMG GT, or AMG GT R coupes? I wonder if in a few years they will become more affordable?

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Can't say. Never had any interest in owning a Merc.

BigBird likes this.
  7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

GT-R in AMG green hell mango is the shiz nittle bam snip snap snap. Serious awesome color.
    The car is ok if you like automatic transmissions.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I saw a silver R on the highway the other day. It gave me wood.

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Someone in my neck of the woods drives one, it definitely caught my eye as a very tasty car. Didn't realize they were all automatics, but by the time I can afford one I will probably be to lazy for a stick.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Anymore, the auto is way faster.

11. Venom51

Yep..in modern cars if it has a true PDK in it the manual will be slower. Not to mention the focus you don't have to take away from driving to think about 3 pedal foot work and hitting the correct gear in an H-pattern box. Sequential manual gear boxes are on par with a PDK at the pointy end of things. Even modern torque converted slush boxes are way better than they used to be.

BigBird likes this.
  12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

yep! There’s One parked at The place next to philips in Newport Beach. It’s a sweet car!

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Even the non-PDK/dual clutch cars are faster. With the new 8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions and better torque converter tech, the autos are always faster in a strait line and around the track.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

In Lake Mary I saw every snazzy two door imaginable. The Maserati sounds the best. Tasty exhaust note on those.

15. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

Buddy has the v8 version. He's a lawyer with no other hobbies besides traveling though.

16. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Because that's the point behind buying a passion purchase that puts a smile on your face.

If you want the car to do all the work for you then by all means, if tenths of a second are what you're after then go for it. But don't tell me driving a DeTomaso Pantera won't make you feel something special compared to an automatic Merc AMG. Likewise with the R34 compared to the R35.

If I were to pick one passion car and stick with it the rest of my life it would be the Carrera GT.

mpusch likes this.
  17. Modern auto transmissions are boring, and contribute to traffic jams due to the way brain-dead drivers use them. Yeah, they are faster on the track. How often do you track a street car?

18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

How often are you so engaged in your driving that you have to "feel" the shifting? How often can you really bang upshifts, and/or downshifts, to satisfy your need for control over the revs? Of a CAR!

19. Every day. I have the opportunity to push my Supercar-lite to it’s max nearly every time I drive.

bored&stroked likes this.
  20. Venom51

As often as I want to because half of everything I own has a wiggly stick in the middle of the front seats.