1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2019 | Round 3 | USA | April 12 -14

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

So did the Triumph engine Moto 2 bikes produce glorious noises?

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The track layout has been changed twice since the F1 cars were there, once between the cars and bikes, another when the bikes were there. Just a shame, Indy was voted the best GP race of the year, then it's gone.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

KrooklynSV likes this.
  4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

That's it exactly. The locals are all stupid wealthy NIMBYs and have been trying to get rid of the track for years. The city robs all the money the track makes. It would take millions of dollars in upgrades before a GP race could be held there and it's not going to happen.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Is Neuvo Leon.
    It's a county park.

I'm done here. :D

6. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

It changed minimally. It went from sucking a lot to sucking a little less than a lot. They did what they could with what they had, but that course was never a great course for F1 or MotoGP by any stretch.

7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

what would need to be upgraded since the last GP race was there?

motion and code3ryder like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Maybe for F1 but the track layout for motoGP was fine after the modifications they did. The last couple of races I don’t recall any mention or complaints related to the track condition or configuration. Plus add in the downtown experience and it was a very good overall racing experience.

9. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I was able to find numerous complaints re: condition about the bumps and then after they tried to fix the bumps, but I was referring to the configuration. Very few MotoGP and F1 racers would publicly admit the configuration sucked, but compared to any proper-made road course you cannot say it was in the same league as far as character and likely enjoyment to race on. I realize every track cannot be a Spa or a Phillip Island, but from my perspective Laguna and COTA are both head and shoulders above the Indy F1/MotoGP track in terms of configuration.

code3ryder likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a MotoGP race could be held there tomorrow.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

A certain drainage ditch comes to mind.....

Other than that probably increased runoff, a penalty loop section. Weren't pits and garages a problem at Laguna too? or am I imagining that? Maybe it was due to the AMA double billing.

turbulence likes this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes... a distinct growl for sure going thru turns 6-8.
    Watching moto3 the front runners were either pushing some kind of spark cut button or they had some traction management at the beginning of the esses because they were rolling with no change in momentum. The backmarkers were noticeably in & out of the throttle in the same section.

13. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Yes....a proper, loud, angry, race bike type sound.

You could definitely tell the difference from last years Honda-engined Moto2 bikes.

14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I got to see some telemetry from one of the moto3 teams and they were definitely hitting rev limiter approaching T3.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeap and were on it the whole way thru the esses. That makes sense running it into the limiter

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The 250 mile figure for Austin is 17,526,040. I accidentally pasted the 100 mile radius twice.

San Antonio to COTA center to center is just under 100 miles. Therefore, you lose 50% of the SA population by being beyond the radius.

A 400 mile radius from Laguna does cover most of CA, as well as parts of other states where no one resides. It does barely include LV, but again, only half the circle, and LV total is only 500,000. Oh, and plenty of the ocean. Population numbers do not include sealife.

earth.jpg

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Having had the privilege of riding the F1 config at Indy the last 2 years with SVRA I can assure you that’s not the case on a bike...it was the best track I have ever been on by a Milestone..

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yes. Sweet, glorious race bike noise. They were awesome!

My takeaways were:

There was a ton of good racing this year in all classes.
    Racers will race, whiners will whine. The bumps are there for everyone.
    Australian racers are awesome if you want actual opinions.
    The Ducati has a shitload of power but looks like alot of work.
    Valentino is an incredible racer and likely a great guy. Alot of his fans are ignorant cunts that would have likely cheered just as loud if a life flight would have come for Marquez. My friends wife who is a Rossi fan was cheering for Rins as she didnt want the assholes to be happy.

COTA may be bumpy for MotoGP but it is still the best track I have ever ridden....

20. G 97

G 97 Garth