1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my 2018 taxes last night...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by wood600rr, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Flat tax one rate for anyone no deductions, just imagine equal treatment under the law. Never happen though as even the flat tax isn't.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Better yet, replace income tax with a national sales tax. Make food and medicine tax exempt and a tax on consumption would somewhat self correct for wealth.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Since those with excess income don't spend it all, sales taxes have been shown to be more regressive than income taxes.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That is true. You would have to find a way to incentivize putting that money back into the economy. How did we fund national government before 1913?

7. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I use a basic 1040 form:
    I made 4% more gross wage this year,
    paid 11% less federal tax this year,
    got 15% higher federal refund,
    state refund doubled.

Spang308 likes this.
  8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Great numbers for you. What state?
    By the way, your numbers seem to mirror reported averages. I can only assume you're happy with the trend you're witnessing.
    Edit: Just clicked on your profile and GA. Makes sense. Congrats on holding the line against Abrams last fall.

9. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Years ago when I had lots of deductions, I got back more and I treated it like a small bonus. I reduced the W4 (percent held) when the deductions became smaller.

10. sheepofblue

The problem is people treat the lack of regressive as the goal. Thus we have a progressive system where almost 50% think the government is a sugar daddy and vote for more of the other 50%'s money. Your point is valid but some regressive taxation is good. If everyone pays the same income tax fewer are open to more taxation. The same would apply to sales tax. Personally even though it is inefficient I think we should tax welfare to make everyone feel the pain at some level.

11. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

holy fuck. you think welfare should be taxed so those people feel pain "at some level". Am I reading that right? Like being on welfare isn't bad enough? Yayayaya some people are shitbags and milk the system but holy fuck that's a pretty fucked view to have.

SuddenBraking and 50Joe like this.
  12. sheepofblue

You understandably might have made some incorrect assumptions. First off I am not saying if they are currently getting 10K a year take 1K, rather I am saying raise it to 11k and take 1K. Thus my statement about efficiency. But yes everyone should understand that free is not free. So you see second is I want to hurt them, instead I want to hurt them. Instead I want to help everyone.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If being on welfare was bad enough, less people would be on welfare...

crashman, Banditracer and Spang308 like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Actually I would prefer that they visit the people paying, request funds, and write a thank you note.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

It can't be too bad, there's multiple generations of family's doing it with no intention of ever looking for a job.

16. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

What percentage of people on welfare do you think just don't gaf. I can tell you from personal experience not everyone on welfare is a lazy piece of shit.

Must be nice to be the king. Come bow before me ....

you guys are a bunch of fucking assholes

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh goodie! You know a guy. :rolleyes: :crackup:

Finally! Something we agree on! :beer:

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

No, not everyone on welfare is a piece of shit, never said that. People that are using it as intended, as a safety net to get thru a rough few months or a year until they get their life straightened out and then get off it I have no problem with. The multiple generations that have always been on it and have no intention of ever getting off it and keep having kids so they can get more and more free shit, those are the scum bag pieces of shit.
    I would guess around here 50 -75 % don't GAF.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Being taken advantage of for a few decades will do that to a guy. I hope you included yourself in the group. It isn't about superiority, it is about simple decency. Not everyone on welfare wants to be there. 50 years ago it was an embarrassment. Now, there are some recipients that are proud of it and demanding more. When I have to work to provide for someone I don't know, then yes, some gratitude is warranted.

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Mostly by tariffs on trade.