1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forearms/Grip: I’m a Wuss

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Do you ride dirt at all? Arm pump fucking sucks but these things, or a hair tie etc. are suppose to help.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Hmm... might have to try these out. Haven’t raced in awhile but I always fought arm pump and still do some on my mountain bike.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a few of my rock climbing friends tried those out. they didnt do shit to help w/ climbing.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Really? That's where I read the review that convinced me to try them - on a rock climbing forum.

6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

this is my favorite besides just riding a lot.
    page.jpg

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Thats a mighty fancy rubber band....

I do those exercises when my wrist bothers me. The Chiro suggested it and it does seem to help balance things out.
    I just use rubber bands though.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

got a link?

the friends found their time was better spent on the hang board, campus board, and moon board. maybe the bands would have helped eventually and they gave up too soon. i dunno.

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Dudes gonna knock himself out! :D

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I do 4 things for forearm strength

- wrist curls
    - reverse wirst curls
    - dumbbell twists
    - reverse barbell curls

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@ryoung57 are you still training BJJ? Even if you don't, Origin makes a thing called the "orangahang" It's basically two sections of a gi with the lapels at the end, and a strap with a loop and carabiner to attach it to a pullup bar, kettlebell, or whatever.

It's the shit. Not only will it help your grip, but it toughens up your fingernail beds and fingertips.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

On a hiatus due to the back, but looking forward to starting up again soon. I’ll look into that thing. I’ve lost a few fingernails to gis. It sucks.

13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

very timely for the me. on march 31st, I ruptured my right (dominant hand) index finger "pointing tendon". stems from plates and screws from an injury in 2002, to the right wrist. doc is going to take out my hardware, and repair the tendon, clean everything up inside. he thinks the plate bent, or some of the screws backed out, and the tendon popped. he is afraid, if we dont remove the hardware and soon, the other tendons will start popping. surgery is tomorrow. then rehab for several weeks. THEN...

april 1st i was lifting the back of a snowmobile (think dead lifting), and tore my right rotator cuff, biceps tendon, labrum and more. surgery for the that, around the first week of may. orthopod says, i will be out for 3-6 months. no bikes, no fishing, no shooting bows guns etc... THIS SUMMER IS GONNA SUCK!!! I JUST WANNA RIDE! Ski

14. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That is intense!!! Good luck with recovery!

15. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

As a woman of advanced age, I can tell you that is one area of the male body that I find incredibly hot now that I overlooked as a young lady. Forearms are sexy. Paint that fence.

K51000, lazlo, cav115 and 1 other person like this.
  16. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

my forearms are grip is pretty damn strong. and I never once specifically trained them, but I never use wraps in the gym. I can shrug 5 plates a side for a few reps double overhand before needing to put them on. ive gripped the strongest grippers without too much problem. if you have issues , train . btw I find it helps to hold bars with your fingers not in your palm if that makes sense.

17. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

the pinch plate one is good too
    Plate-Pinch.jpg

18. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Found this little treasure by the squat rack a few weeks ago. Guess the previous owner didn't get the memo in time! :Puke:

[​IMG]Untitled by ineedanap, on Flickr

19. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

turner38 likes this.
  20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the squeeze things and pretty much any other execise you fo to build up your forearms is about the worst thing a motorcycle racer can do....
    It just makes the Arm pump worse.
    The exercises the OP was talking about actually does help a little bit and also helps the wrist.
    It is a good practice to work on not squeezing the bar if you are gonna work out also.