1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do skull cap helmets have any value?

Discussion in 'General' started by SGVRider, Apr 13, 2019.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I think that they offer the user a bit of false security as well.

CRA_Fizzer and Jedb like this.
  2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

At what point during a traffic stop have any of us ever had our helmets checked for DOT "stickers" or certification?

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

This is like asking if the pull out method prevents pregnancy and or from getting STDs, wtf.

stk0308 likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Skills not Skulls...

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

The last time I was ever pulled over by the Police on a motorcycle, the cop had to ask me to show him where on my license it showed I was authorized to operate a motorcycle. He was also a little taken aback when I gave him my license, registration, and inspection sticker. ("What's this?")

TurboBlew and joec like this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm sure they have some value but c'mon, it's half a helmet. I always think of that scene in dumb and dumber. "so what if he shot you in the face?" :D

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It's my understanding that DOT standards for motorcycle helmets are (as stated earlier) incumbent on the manufacturer, but it runs basically on the honor system. The threat of lawsuits is considered sufficient and DOT does not inspect helmet. Snell, on the other hand, does inspect helmets, and to get the Snell certification the manufacturer has to send them (IIRC) 5 helmets, 4 of which will be destroyed during testing and one of which is retained by Snell for identification purposes.

It's rare for an officer to pull someone over for a helmet violation in my experience but I saw it happen once, maybe about 20 years ago. A lady biker who was riding with a small group of us got pulled over on Cherohala. Dude wrote her a ticket for not wearing a helmet and advised her that it was a "moving violation," meaning the next cop down the road could write her another ticket and she'd be responsible for it as well. Surprisingly he let her continue with her skid lid. I think it ended up setting her back $180. I don't think this was enough to persuade her to start using real helmets.

8. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I was wearing a top of the line Arai when I highsided in to a fucking curb, I shattered my collar bone in to fragments, broke 5 ribs, got a concussion. My helmet was a disaster, but it showed what could have been much worse. Anything less than a full faced helmet is retarded. I got in to a near fist fight with my dad when he got a 3/4 helmet for his harley. Im not pretty, but I like my jaw.

MachineR1 likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Uh...NO!

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

They’re good for open caskets.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Depends what happens after contact is made. If the rider is sent flying over the SUV, the kind of helmet he's wearing might still matter.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The cruiser seating position isn't really ideal for maximum altitude. It's more face plant into the grille.

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Have a $10 head, wear a $10 h̶e̶l̶m̶e̶t̶ thingy.

The one's who usually get screwed over with this crap are the girlfriends. Much of the time, they simply don't know any better and rely on dudes to tell them what to wear.

Banditracer likes this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Yup.

Crazy energy in accidents, just no telling. I was hit head on by a car that crossed the center line then snap oversteered into me. I was on my Z1000 sport bike, so fairly upright. Woke up in the field next to the road with paramedics around me. I saw the accident coming so not sure if I possibly made an attempt at climbing off the top of the bike or what. But, I wound up far ahead of the accident so went up and over. Nothing broken, a concussion, sore, and some stiches in my shin. Shoei full face, jacket, jeans etc. Cars suck. It was totalled along with the bike.

15. We used to call them, „Brains on a half-shell.“

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Place your bets..spin that wheel...

turner38 likes this.
  17. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Sadly true. I have a very strict rule with passengers, AGAT, all gear all the time. Full face, jacket, riding pants, gloves and over the ankle boots, God forbid the worst happens, I dont want injuries that could have been prevented on my conscience.

jrsamples likes this.
  18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, if you follow this train of thought through to its logical conclusion, neither you nor your passenger would ever get on a street bike to begin with.

Britt likes this.
  19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

They can make a good bucket to scoop up your internal organs from the street after a crash.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

My old stomping grounds. I thought the same thing when I read the OP.