1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

In this case the no english thing is more of a problem because there's only one way you can get backed into the loading dock. It's a older plant with additions , not layed out with 53 ft. trailers in mind. So she has to tell drivers that haven't been there before how to back in. The guy on Friday had a app on his phone that converted her speaking into his phone to spanish text.

ducnut likes this.
  2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Not speaking English as a new comer is one thing. Not speaking a word of English after 5, 10, etc years is just plain lazy. The person chooses to watch same language TV, only socialize with same speaking people, shop in same speaking shops etc. Zero effort to actually try and learn English.

3. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Tell her welcome to the new age of trucking.

I had a western express driver come to me at a rest area.. this gets good but I'll keep it to cliff notes.

Speaks good English but African/samolia? Accent.
    States he just got released from his trainer and W-EX only requires 50 hrs with a trainer. :)
    Can't read quallcom msgs or directions from his dispatch.
    I've never touched a quallcom in my 20yrs out here..

Best part..
    We're at a rest area just north of Charlotte NC on the SOUTH bound direction.

He is headed for RALEIGH...... 150 miles the other direction....
    :Pop::clap::whoosh::crackup::crackup::crackup:

:flag:i love America.

dtalbott and ducnut like this.
  4. Banditracer

5. Banditracer

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ And, HAZMAT!

7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

So it’s true...life is a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit there is to eat.

dtalbott, Razr and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yeah, your friend is special because I did not get that fleetwide message.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

It was on twisted truckers. Must be true.:D

dtalbott likes this.
  11. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Y'all steering wheel holders might like this article. Eld status change error.

I have had zero issues since the mandate last year with my VDO branded ELD. It doesn't automatically change status to on duty or driving unless you forget to change it, sit still (GPS) for 5+ min, or move +5mph.

You might want to note the email address in case you have an error situation and want to keep yourself out of trouble and possible shutdown.

Seems this month many states have increased there inspection rates.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/err...while-parked-mark-kirbysons-latest-eld-issue/

12. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

We have Omnitracs in our trucks and have random instances of ELD's going from off duty to driving, often @ the 27 minute mark of your 30 minute break. The aggravating thing is that you don't find out that the system decided to record such an occurrence for an hour or two when all of a sudden the system starts squawking at you. All indications are that the 30 minutes is logged, your 8hr clock resets and all driving/duty times show as they should. Omnitracs has no idea what is causing this to happen. It has happened to me twice. I now stay off duty for 36 minutes and when I go back on duty, I don't even turn the key on for at least 5 minutes.

Pain in the ass. Our 2nd shift safety person says she has to fix several of these each day. We have well over 200 trucks in our fleet.

13. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Their. :Poke:

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Update on the Denver I-70 crash.

15. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

That’s always a sketchy area and traffic always backs up there - not to mention you’re at the end of a looooong descent . Anytime I’m in the car around there you always smell truck brakes or see a truck on the shoulder with smoking brakes . I would have tried to put it in a ditch or guardrail but hindsight’s 20/20. Kid was 23 , chances are he was pretty fresh to driving and may not have been equipped with the skills to avoid such a disaster . I know when I’m coming down Colorado passes always looking for an out if shit hits the fan . Appears no drugs or alcohol so that’s good but they’re going to crucify the driver . He’s gonna be wishing he was back in Mexico.

Marid2apterbilt and ducnut like this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I had questioned his age and possibility of being an immigrant and not growing up in a motorized culture, which leads to inexperience. And, there is some serious junk equipment out of Texas. Clearly, he was coming down that pass far too fast.

17. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

If you watch the video in slow mo it’s a freight liner century class - usually a ratted out truck . You can buy them dirt cheap .Generally timber haulers aren’t bringing good $ so their equipment quality also suffers. But yes , some junk in Texas for sure .

ducnut likes this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ Spot-on!

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Do they not have truck runoffs on a road like that?

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s further up the pass.

Many don’t and those that do usually don’t have runoffs at the bottom, as the assumption is the truck will just rollout. In this case, the traffic at the bottom had stopped.