1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone school me on Chainsaw's?

Discussion in 'General' started by D-Swens, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:crackup:

3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Good feedback from a few of the guys which hopefully you checked on, but here's a few more questions/comments. First off, what exactly were you cutting with it? Type of wood and size? Were you plunge-cutting a lot when the nose sprocket started locking up? What bar and chain are you using (don't say Stihl...model numbers would be more helpful lol)?

If you rev it high with the tip of the bar pointed down on the ground you should see a line of oil forming down. If you don't, that means the chain is not getting lubricated well enough, even though you've noticed the oil level dropped. Depending on the saw you should go through a tank of oil for every one to two tanks of gas (more towards one though). I don't have any experience with older models so I don't know for sure if that has an adjustable oil pump or not. Easy to check though...either has an adjustment screw or not. Check that all the passages are clear of debris. The only options that make sense to me is either lack of oil which caused overheating of the chain and bar, or you're pushing the saw beyond its capabilities, like trying to plunge-cut too aggressively in hard wood with the wrong type of chain on. I try not to blame to users usually, but every now and then the failure is clearly attributed to the user, not the product.

4. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I’ve got an MS 250, same EXACT problem. That series doesn’t have an adjustable oiling system and as is puts out almost enough oil. I rebuilt the oiling system completely with the high flow pump and would call it barely adequate now. It could stand to put a little more oil onto the bar still.

I believe the next model up (farm boss?) has an adjustable oiling system. I’m going to pick up the next size up saw. That way, when I use it, my back won’t be just sore, it’ll be completely fucked.

Knotcher likes this.
  5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

When I was in my early 20's I worked for a company trimming existing powerlines. You want to talk about a fucked back? Try working on the ground crew cutting all the young growth under the lines. You're bent over in order to cut low enough, moving forward, bent over, moving forward...
    Then you stop and pile it into a neat stack so you can bend down and get both arms around it and drag it to the chipper. All day in the hot sun. I was in the best shape ever in my life at that time but at 50 I feel those days in my back all damn day every damn day.

6. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

A question to D-swims this has gone on for 6 pages and no one has said this is a bad idea. Do you owe all these guys money, fooled around with their wives, cussed their moms or ran all of them off the track. Smacking a badger is a bad idea, crapping on the desk of the IRS agent is a bad idea. Chainsaws are a very bad idea. Sure you get to tell the story about your visit to the ER but it really not worth it. As far as saving money check you home owners insurance it will go up about $80 for wood burning in the house, between that and your health care deductibles it just not worth it. As the rascal who got me into racing said when he saw his first chainsaw. “Do you think Ralph Nader ever saw a chainsaw”. Last point hearing and eye protection. You want to be able to hear the nurse coming down the hall with your pudding.

7. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

I saw nothing mentioned about fuel. I started running Av gas in all my two strokes several years ago. chainsaws, weedeaters, boat motors . that was one of the best things I've done with the chainsaws and the boat motors. the ethanol in the unleaded was swelling the gas caps and degrading the fuel lines and now I can let them set for months and they don't gum up. just my experience . b bill

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Careful with av gas. It has lead in it. Not only not the best thing to have burning by your face, but if it is in an EFI engine it can ruin O2 sensors quickly.

9. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

I haven't experienced a problem with it for years . but that's my experience. b bill