1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Four working together on new motorcycle battery tech

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Apr 12, 2019.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

BigBird likes this.
  2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Definitely interesting. I think there’s some ups and downs. Upside obviously is it solves one of the primary problems facings electric bikes. Downside is I feel like it could stifle power plant development and reduce market options. Right now those companies all compete for having the best bike of various classes which includes differences in engine development. But if they’re all using the same engine (or batteries) then it kinda kills that aspect of competition and reduces our options on the market.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I think it's positive for the non-performance motorcycle market (scooters, commuters, etc.). Not sure if this is going to be used in sportsbikes where the competitive edge is key.

4. Critter

Critter Registered

In many way this could either be earth shattering for the industry or amount to nothing.. A couple of the Japanese companies have tried to work together in the past and it did not last long. So we shall see, OH and by the way they are not the BIG 4 any longer

5. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Wrong.

6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

The BIG 5?

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Maybe Tesla can join in when they go belly up.

8. Critter

Critter Registered

What is wrong about that statement can you explain to me?

9. Critter

Critter Registered

KTM sold more motorcycles than suzuki and polaris is the #1 OEM in the country???

10. Critter

Critter Registered

even the guys at the "BIG 4" don't call themselves that anymore

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Makes sense. The capital cost involved in developing this is so huge no single company could afford to develop it for a low volume product like motorcycles. This is a survival strategy.

12. Critter

Critter Registered

I agree in that, and it will be interesting to see if the Japanese can begin to work together on product and here in the usa on marketing

13. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

You have to look at worldwide sales and not focus on “America” alone. Also, you have to look at all vehicle types.

Take a real good look as to why they are called “The Big 4”.

The article was posted in a “Motorcycle Guide” website. I don’t remember seeing any Polaris’ on any tracks at any trackday or races I’ve been to.

14. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

They will still be able to make their own brand of battery, they will just be compatible across the four brands.

15. Critter

Critter Registered

You Are not making any sense at all, If you look at motorcycle sales in the US here is the break down.
    1) Harley
    2) Honda
    3) Yamaha
    4) Kawasaki
    5) KTM
    6) Suzuki

If you want to change the conversation and discuss world wide across ALL types of motorcycles then you have to Include, Baja and Kymco, they sell more than Suzuki and Kawi combined in small displacement in developing countries,

If you want to look at Powersports and discuss all Vehicle types then the list would slot Polaris at number 2 on the list above, if not number one above Harley, So I am not sure what data or list you are trying to discuss by saying "look at all vehicle types" then only discussing track days, what you see at a track day has nothing to do with calculating world wide sales of two wheels.
    The data I get from the MIC of what the distributors, report as actually being sold in the USA and world wide has more to do with actual numbers than a hunch from looking around a track day

16. Critter

Critter Registered

Now if you want to include all the other entities as a whole and include their Automotive divisions (Honda and Suzuki) then you would have to include Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc. and then Suzuki would not make the list of top for in the world.... So Like I said the folks at Yamaha, and Suzuki have told me and I quote, "the big for does not exist anymore in the USA as we knew it" The market has changed and so has two wheel

17. Critter

Critter Registered

OH I almost forgot I guess you have not been to a dirt track race.......

18. Critter

Critter Registered

19. Critter

Critter Registered

Sales in India in November 2018
    1. Hero: 6,01,045 units
    2. Honda: 3,94,246 units
    3. TVS: 2,60,253 units
    4. Bajaj Auto: 2,05,259 units
    5. Royal Enfield: 65,026 units
    6. Yamaha: 60,116 units
    7. Suzuki: 53,058 units
    8. Piaggio: 5,933 units
    9. Harley-Davidson: 286 units
    10. Kawasaki: 203 units

20. Critter

Critter Registered

Tell me again about the BIG 4 worldwide????