1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Curious as to why you think that. (just comparing to my own thoughts on the subject)

2. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

If anyone in the north FL or S GA area wants to ride this weekend after the storm passes, we have a cross FL ride this weekend...it's free, just gotta say you are "IN" on the page over at advrider.
    TRANS FLORIDA RALLY
    PART DEUX
    OCTOBER 13, 14 2018
    This is an overland adventure rally in which you will need to use a roll chart. We will also be have the usual trophy classes. This time we are going to ramp up the points challenge. There will be many more points opportunities.
    [​IMG]
    We will be beginning near the intersection of I-295 and HWY17 which is the border of Orange Park and Jacksonville, Florida. We will be starting and ending from a location near here to make logistics easier for those coming in from out of town.
    [​IMG]
    On the West Coast of Florida, the end point for Saturday Night will be Steinhatchie - Fiddler's Restaurant and Pelican Pointe Inn 352-498-7427 to make your room reservations.
    This will be mostly new routes, so you will be able to get lost in unfamiliar territory.
    Many of you have gotten to know most of the folks in CADS. So hit them up for a place to stay on Friday Night. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    We plan to have a nice party at the finish line. The finish time to earn your trophies based on collected points is 5:00pm with awards given at 5:30pm. Your points must be turned in by 5:00pm

We are trying to make logistics easier for folks from out of town. Our staging area for Friday Night, Saturday Morning and Sunday's Finish Party will be at The Rudder Club located at 8533 Malaga Ave, Jacksonville. This is just North of the I-295 Bridge located on the River. It is a Sailing Club and will have some room for camping on Friday Night and Sunday of you wish. The Club has showers, swimming pool and a Bar, so all of our basic needs. There will also be some room to park your truck and trailer. They can handle about 20 truck/trailers. There are a number of nearby hotels.

Friday Night Reception 6:00pm - We will have a cook out open bar and burgers grilling. The charge for a burgers and a beer is $5.

Saturday Morning Meet up at 7:45am with riders meeting at 8:15
    Ride leaves immediately following meeting

Saturday Night Dinner in Steinhatchie at Fiddlers Restaurant at 6:30pm

Sunday Morning Riders Meeting 8:30am in front of Fiddlers Restaurant

THE RALLY

Class A 950+
    Class B 640-949
    Class C 250-630
    Class D Older than 1998 and Hacks

The Route Sheet will have points available, that you will need take pictures of in order to earn points. The top points in each Class will be awarded Trophies.

You must Turn in your points on Sunday by 5:00 pm. 25 points will be deducted for every minute past 5:00 pm At 5:30 all points not turned in will be lost. Trophies will be following that time.

We will have a Sunday afternoon cook out and swimming for those interested.

All Finishers will be awarded a finisher sticker, even if you have not collected any points. However you must make the finish, no stickers Sunday morning on your way out of town :D

As we get closer I will post up Bonus Point Opportunities.

gt#179 likes this.
  3. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Because a 990R Duke is too hard to find.
    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-KTM-990-SUPER-DUKE-R-5004033552
    Or maybe not.

I have always wanted a hyper because it offers off-road and onroad capabilities on a hyper-sport platform and can still straight line down a highway often without blowing its motor. If it wasn’t so tall it would check all the right boxes.

I’m curious about the Svartpilen Husky just put out but haven’t seen one in person yet. I imagine it might rattle apart under heavy duty conditions or it could be a nice little KTM stepchild to leave up in the mountains.

jrsamples likes this.
  4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yes, that is exactly why I like the Hyper: some off highway, two track capability, engine big enough to blast down highways and dirt roads with ease, and its relatively light weight for a liter displacement. I have not found anything liter sized that can do what it does for about 370 lbs. I do not get the sense that it is too tall, except when coming down Black Bear Pass.:D I've never ridden a Duke, but it seems so much more oriented to the street that it would not be a decent explorer.
    I had not seen that one, interesting looks. In a video, it sort of reminds me of a GS550.

duggram likes this.
  5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I've ridden the San Juans quite a bit and nothing compares to the Black Bear stairs. I know it's all in my head but that place really gets my attention. A few weeks ago 3 of us rode 8 passes in one day through the San Juans. That was all fun and easy compared to the stairs for me. What a great place.

jrsamples likes this.
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yes, there is really nothing like it. I only ride alone, and one of the reasons is that I like to soak up the whole thing while I am there. On BB there are so many cool things to see in addition to ride. I've never seen so many different wildflowers. On the eastern side, before I came to the pass, there were thousands of sheep. I just stopped because I had never seen so many in one place, just sat on my bike for a while laughing at the noise. There are a lot of those places, glad I keep finding new ones to explore.

[​IMG]

Wingnut, SuddenBraking and duggram like this.
  7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

rode down Black Bear last month on my 950. A bit of rain and lightning made it a bit more fun. Managed to drop the bike right before the ledges on one of the lead up ledges, didn't help the confidence at all. lol. Probably right about where the photo above was taken.

The 950 super enduro is a good bike if you want something comfortable on the street, nimble enough to have fun on single track, and just a fun bike to ride. Get a set of 17" wheels from an SM if you want to tear it up on the pavement. 100hp, 440lbs if you put skid plates, racks and stuff on it, with 4 gallons of gas. Hard to find though. :)

jrsamples likes this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

This is where pucker was taken to a higher level for me.

[​IMG]

Britt and rd400racer like this.
  9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

My Africa Twin has now been properly ‘adventurized’ out with the junk Showa stock suspension and in with the good stuff. Ohlins front and rear.

30 mil cartridges up front:
    [​IMG]

Beautiful rear shock:
    [​IMG]

New tires as well, Pirelli STR Rally’s:
    [​IMG]

Nice big and thick Ohlins fork decal protectors also included in the package:
    [​IMG]

The bike rides amazing now. No more flexy wobbly front end. No more front end dive to the axle. I originally ordered the entire ohlins forks but it seems Ohlins has supply issues now and can’t meet the demand. Took them 4 weeks to get the cartridges with my spring rate. Rear shock was readily available.

The upper Showa fork tubes suffer from the anodizing flaking off inside the tube. Gee thanks Honda, nothing can really be done to solve it except replace them with the ATAS version which have a Kashmia coating on them. This is why I wanted to replace the entire fork to begin with.

My first Honda streetbike in like 30 years and it probably will be my last. Quality just isn’t there anymore. Patiently waiting on the new for 2020 Yamaha Tenere 700 to arrive stateside.

XFBO, jrsamples, SpeedyTide and 3 others like this.
  10. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

That thing looks awesome. You rarely see one in the wild.

11. roy826ex

Thank you, they’re a dime a dozen around here. There are 4 in my riding group alone not counting mine.

12. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Dayum nice AT Roy!!

13. roy826ex

Thank you!

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Stand on the pegs, take the outside left line...live to tell the tale.

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yes, but this thing rides on the bash plate as much as the tires. A Hyper has 6.5 inches of travel front, 4.5 rear, less sag. 2 face plants before I got to the steps when the plate bucked me off. That was a fun couple of days, camped at Alta Lakes in the rain. I'll never forget it as it was my first time out there.

Telluride in the upper left hand corner. :D
    [​IMG]

Britt likes this.
  16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I watched a ton of video before we went.. saw Folks duck walking the steps.. bouncing and falling over...made the choice then to ride the left line..standing up as normal.
    It's closer to the edge but less bouncy and chit.

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, I ain't gonna ride that ledge. It is a lot meaner in person.

BTW, speak of........
    you've certainly seen this, right?

britx303 likes this.
  18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

HellsYeah... on my shortlist for this summer

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

that guy seemed pretty sketchy in a couple sections. Crazy trail...

XFBO likes this.
  20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I'm sure that you've heard, but you'd better go late. Some say that there might be places that will be snowed shut for a while this year.

Britt likes this.