1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

riding mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by barnacle bill, Apr 30, 2015.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ferris are some of the best on side hills because of the suspension. It allows the wheels to move and not cause the uphill wheel to lift. Still not a good thing to go along the side hill. You should go up and down if possible.

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Where is the brake pedal?

3. backcountryme

Brake pedal on what?

4. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I am just going to post this slope vs degree chart and agree with dsapsis.

Attached Files:

5. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

All I know is I just bought a Simplicity Broadmore with a 44" deck. It is very nice and has a much better turning radius than the old murry rider I had.

I'm only cutting 1 acre no need for a bigger faster machine.

Some good info about machines.... lots of BS about slope/angle/grade.

6. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

cub cadet

well I've been mowing with the cub cadet a couple of months now and I am pretty pleased with the performance of the kawasaki engine and with the rest of the mower too. I don't see how they build these mowers and sell them for the price I paid. for a tractor type mower it's the way to go. nice clean smooth cut too. and Darethea is happy! bill and darethea

7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

2 acres, house came with a john deere 42" lawn tractor. 4 hours to cut the grass. Bough an Ariens 52" zero turn. Grass cutting cut down to 1:20min. I frigging love that thing!!

8. 1bronco

1bronco Well-Known Member

Bump. Are <$1600 riding mowers complete junk? The older ones seem to be better built then they are these days. Have a .6 acre and getting sick of using the push mower but not wanting to break the bank. I'm limited to 42in deck, Troy-Bilt Bronco, Husq YTH18542, JD E100?

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I got 18 years out of my Troy-bilt mower. Nothing but normal oil changes, occasional greasing and blade sharpening. At $1600 even if you got half that would I really complain? A $160 bucks a year plus gas for a decade is pretty cheap.

BigBird likes this.
  10. 1bronco

It's a good point. I realize you get what you pay for; but it's a small-ish yard and a 42" cuts my time in half if not more. I see some reviews saying stay away or spend 2-3x more, obviously every manufacturer has issues and 2-3x more gets you a better machine. If it lasted 5yrs I'd be ok with it, just wasn't sure if anyone had any recent experience. Leaning towards the Troy or husky.

11. barnacle bill

I'm on my 5th season with the cub cadet. no complaints . I still think they are a bargain . I got the XT 1

12. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I used to own a shop with my dad, not some rinky dinky shit, but a legit commercial joint that sold for a few hundred K.

Didn’t read thread but all I can say is if it doesn’t have a Kawi or Kohler Command PRO, do not buy.

Everything else is shit. Utter shit. Unless it’s early 2000’s and before Briggs. Everything after is also shit. If you have any specific questions quote this post so I’m notified.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. backcountryme

Never compare any mower built today to anything built 10 or 20 years ago. Think about it this way. Mowers bult 20 years ago cost about $500. The same spec mower now is about $500. There is a reason that they are the same price, and it isn't because they are the same quality. I was the western Canadian distributor for Snapper, and the new mowers are NOTHING compared to the stuff built even 10 years ago.

BigBird, Chris and FrancisA like this.
  14. backcountryme

I was the Western Canadian sales and service guy for Kohler for 11 years. The Command Pro engines are awesome. Especially the EFI engines. But they have some other engines like the 2000 series that are great for the general home owners too. Kawi is good too, but pricey and parts are a little harder to find at times. Briggs is Briggs. I wouldn't get one if I could avoid it, but if you take care of them they are ok. And parts are really easy to find for Briggs.

FrancisA likes this.
  15. 1bronco

Briggs seems to own the game on the lower end models for most manufactures. I'll look at the XT1, looks like they are running Kohler motors.

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Wheel horse

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Simple yard word for a typical 3/4 acre homeowner I don't see the need for anything more than you can buy at the Homeless Despot or Lowest. If I was mowing for a living where time is money than I can certainly see looking around for a better machine.

18. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I had good luck getting a Deere from the mid 90's on Craigslist for about $500. Used it for 5 years, took good care of it, and sold it for $500 5 years later.

19. backcountryme

Those older Deere mowers were usually built by Snapper. Snapper makes some really good products. If you are looking to buy a new mower my advice it to spend a little more and buy from your local independent dealer. Doesn’t really matter what brand they sell. Most of them will have units that are pretty close to the box store units. What you are paying for is the knowledge that a stock boy didn’t set it up. That it will be serviced properly. And it gives you a chance to build a relationship with the guy that will be repairing it if needed. Not to mention that the local independent guys need the help. The box stores and the box store mentality is killing the independent guys. Support your local guys. They are there to support you.

Razr likes this.
  20. barnacle bill

correction mine is an XT2 . I got the optional kawasaki engine but I think all of them now come with a kohler . I'm really pleased with mine . mowing about 2 acres and on my 5 th season. b bill

cav115 likes this.