1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Vehicle Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Apr 7, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would give the benefit of the doubt to Honda vs a Chevy/Ford/Dodge product. #justsayin

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The 4WD Ridgeline runs primarily FWD. When the electronics sense slippage, it can transfer up to 70% to the rear wheels. Neither generation can send more than 70% power to the rear, regardless of mode switch or not. Both generations disengage the rear, above a certain speed (I’d have to dig through the manual for that number), but, it disengages, slippage or not. It’s a FWD vehicle with what amounts to an assist system in the rear.

Towing capacities are 3500# for FWD and 5000# for RWD.

Actual towing mileage numbers, by people who use standardized test procedures, don’t support your claims (only 1-2mpg better, which is negligible). That’s using new vehicles, pulling the same trailer, at the same weight, and same route. The mileage difference between her Ridgeline and my Silverado, unloaded, aren’t as great of difference as one would think. For what the Ridgeline is, the fuel mileage isn’t great.

Where are you towing your 3K pound trailer? How many miles have you towed it?

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

what year ridgeline vs silverado?

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

On my personal vehicles, ‘07 Ridgeline 4WD (usually ~24mpg) and ‘06 Silverado 2WD (usually ~21mpg).

The brand new stuff does a bit better on both vehicles, but, it’s not a huge difference.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well yeah it's pretty much the same 3.5L Honda motor, but the new ridgeline does have VCM, so that may also be better once it's up and rolling.

At the end of the day, if you are not towing everyday, The Honda will do what it needs to do. Heck I would get a Pacifica(because why wouldn't anyone want one) if I towing only 3K pounds, granted I would probably lease that one though if I was actually towing anything :)

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Her brother has a ‘18 Ridgeline in the identical trim as hers, just 11 years newer. How they feel on the road is very similar. The new one has some improvements in NVH, features, etc. It’s nice, but, not $50K OTD nice.

I agree. They’re fine for occasional stuff. I just wouldn’t go trying to use it to its maximum ability, on a regular basis. Likewise, if I lived in the mountains, I wouldn’t dream of towing with it. I-10, I-40, I-80, I-90, I-5, I-64, and others can kill a tow vehicle in short order.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to own a Chrysler minivan that’s been towed with, either. The neighbor works at the local dealership and just brought home a Pacifica, which is their 3rd minivan in a row. It seems like they hit a wall where everything starts going wrong and they just exchange it for another minivan and payment book. I’m an Astro/Safari fan, myself.

BigBird likes this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If someone paid USD$50k for a new Ridgeline, they got hosed. The Black Edition sells for that price over here, and that's CAD.

BigBird likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

When you’re looking at a fully loaded RTL-E, with floor mats, mud flaps, roof rails and cross bars, transportation, document fees, title, registration, and taxes, you’re just over $50K.

9. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Or you could just get a diesel Colorado / Canyon for thousands less. Real 4wd and real towing.

Ducti89 likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well it could have been had for like a little more than $30k also, but to each their own

Sent from my smatrfone

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

But then you'll be in a Chevy [emoji23]

Sent from my smatrfone

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We have both, A 2014 Acura MDX and a 2015 Silverado. Wouldnt rate the Acura above the Chevy in any way. The MDX does get slightly better mileage, especially if you do short trip stuff.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Honda prices are crazy, around here. There must be a pact between all of them, because they all have the arrogant attitude of “If you don’t want to pay it, don’t buy it.”. In 2006, I didn’t and bought a Silverado.

Have a friend with a new MDX (their 2nd one). They’ve had a lot of problems with this one, so much so the dealer comes ~100mi to pick it up, because we don’t have a local dealer. They’d taken it down there numerous times and out of frustration, finally, told the dealer they’ll start having to come get it. It’s a shame, really.

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Well...I have actual real world experience towing that thing all over the southeast for races...not "standardized testing procedures"...so don't really give a crap what "they" say...I know what mine does. I've also towed same trailer on same trips with silverado...the honda does it better by 2-3mpg. I travel about 60k annually in my silverado and it averages 21ish. Ridgeline again beats that by 3-4mpg all day long. BTW...this is also against a 2017 and a 2018 silverado (I swap out every 1.5 years to a new one). Same trailer with 4.3 silverado is not much different either, maybe even slightly better than 5.3...mainly due to rear end. I'll stand by my experiences vs some so-called standardized test.

BigBird likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re too funny!

So, I make a statement you quoted, whereby I said “1-2mpg” better for the Ridgeline and you state “2-3mpg” for your case. Likewise, I’d stated the empty mileages aren’t as great as one would think and you state “3-4mpg”. Also, I stated standardized testing backs what I posted. You, basically, reiterated the numbers I posted, but, you have to try and discount them and the standardized testing, despite stating nearly the same thing. Would you feel better if I said “You WIN!”?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

1-ton dually Ram. 23mpg. Suck it, Trebek!

Ducti89 likes this.
  17. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Mom someone’s wrong on the Internet

ducnut likes this.
  18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

got ya...thanks. :rolleyes: Ignore in 3..2..1...

19. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

For your 6x10 trailer towing needs I would suggest to get 2000-2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 with quadradrive. You can find them cheap...
    I used one to tow 7x14 trailer for many years and still driving it today.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

I wouldn't recommend getting ANY vehicle that is over 10 years old. Crash standards have drastically improved from the early 2000s.

Sent from my smatrfone