1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Vehicle Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Apr 7, 2019.

1. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, i’m in the market for a new tow vehicle to haul around my 6x10 enclosed trailer. I really have no idea what to buy and am looking for ideas.

What are all you guys using for tow vehicles? I have a $35K budget and prefer an SUV over a pick up truck.

Show me what you tow with and give me some ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

If I may suggest the Urus, I'm sure it will fulfill your every requirement.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Let me explain how this will go. “You need a dually diesel or you’re not a real man.” Followed by pictures of their Denalis and $hit. Literally every time this comes up, that’s where these discussions wind up.

I would personally look for a used GM Tahoe/Yukon with the 5.3 in it. But I’m not a real man with a small penis to overcome. ;)

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

we already know with a 6x10 the OP is not a real man...lol

masshole likes this.
  5. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Just get a T800 Kenworth just to be sure you have enough truck.

bacolmm, Chris, AC1108 and 5 others like this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

SV650
    /thread

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Clapped out. (of course) :D

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Figure out the heaviest load, trailer included, that you'll likely tow and find a vehicle with roughly twice that tow capacity if you don't want to mess with weight distribution hitches.
    If your 6x10 is a typical single axle/no brakes, it weighs between 1100# and 1600# and it's GVWR is 2990#. With brakes, that becomes 3500#.

I used a '98 Cherokee (inline 6, 4.0HO) for my 6x10 with 6' interior height. It handled it very well. In excess of the trailer's load limit, it handled it okay but blowin' through NM at 80 mph got interesting.
    Later, that Cherokee became an '02 Grand Cherokee (v8, 4.7HO) and it handled the travels even better, leading me to buy a bigger trailer, 6.5x14 v-nose with 6500# GVWR. A heavy race load was about half that weight.
    Never had a worry about either vehicle doing its job and it was nice to have passing power in reserve.

AC792 likes this.
  9. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Pete going low and long

pete.jpg

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Was that pic taken at a motorcycle track day?

11. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Yes. At Gingerman. They raced WERA and CCS and had been into carts too. The family also owns a trucking/ heavy recovery towing company.

R/T Performance likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Then the hardware makes sense. Though I still can't figure out the extended wheelbase on the tractor.

13. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Topkick....gotta be a Topkick...

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

that looks like an older featherlight ... cant imagine someone letting one go for less than 6 figs

15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

AWD Honda Ridgeline or Pilot will drag that trailer all over the place in comfort, decent mileage and extremely handy vehicle.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I don’t know much but I was wondering the same thing.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just a dick swinging thing. They claim it makes the truck ride better but good luck parking it. The only other pro would be overhang could go over the front of the trailer.

18. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Any modern SUV (last 10 years) will tow 5,000lbs and be fine for a 6x10. I'd say look for an SUV that has somewhere around 8,000lbs in case you decide to upgrade to a 7x14 or something later. Tahoe, Durango, Expedition, and Sequoia or bigger ones would all fit that bill.

rk97 and AC792 like this.
  19. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Haha thanks guys. I guess I should’ve known how this was going to go!

That said - i’m looking into an Ecodiesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine blew up 3 of them before giving up on one. I drove it a bit and it was bad ass but a POS motor.