1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washing my leathers, bad idea?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

I've read the threads about washing leathers, however, my idea is a little different. I was thinking of making a nice warm bath for them and them letting them soak for about an hour. I was hoping this would soften up the dirt and bugs. Then, take them outside and scrub them with a soft brush and laundry detergent, followed by rinsing down with the garden hose. After that I would lay them on a table in the sun to dry. Once dry, lexol the heck out of them. As such, good idea, or bad one.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Don't sun dry. Hang in a room with dry air and fan. You want slow and even drying.

3. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

The sun is 93 million miles away... And it can still burn you at that range... maybe hang in the shade...

4. Mille R

Any concerns with hanging them that might cause any stretching? Also, what do you think of my process? Good idea, or is it something Shervin would do?

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

If you have a suit-specific hanger (broad shoulders) that should be fine. Lose the detergent idea -- if anything, use woolite. Instead of simply spraying, I would rinse them 3 times by submerging in a large pool of water (like a keg tub). Otherwise it's fine. <Dos centavos.>

6. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Front load washer with vinegar only... no soap.

Hang to dry slow with a fan.

track wagon likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Washing: make sure to remove all the armor and speed hump before going in the wash.

Hanging wet leathers can stretch them out. Better to lay them flat to dry at least until they are partially dry, imho. I have to wash mine when I have confirmed my wife isn't doing laundry as I take over the laundry room floor for a couple of days. Turn inside out every 8 hours or so; that way the inside dries and you can apply the lexol to the inside too. Apply the lexol as they are drying and add a final application after they are dry.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

OP, sounds like unnecessary work and no fun.

Just pull the armor and toss 'em in an industrial-sized coin-op washer at the laundromat of your choice with an assortment of hand towels, etc. Woolite or other leather-safe, machine-compatible soap.
    Take 'em home, install the armor, go riding 'til they're dry...hours.

Conditioning is secondary to cleaning.

9. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Do you need to condition a brand new suit before you clean it or do you let it break in on its own.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Barnacle Bill has covered the topic once or twice over the years. Do a search.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. Mille R

I did the search. My process is a little different. Just wanted to get peoples 2 cents. I figured soaking would be good to try to release some of these bugs. Those suckers feel glued on.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You must be new here! Just once or twice over the years? :rolleyes:

13. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

You're much better off if you condition it before first use. The suit drys up from being in warehouses, transportation etc.
    But why would you need to clean it if it's brand new?

14. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I put half a bottle of Lexol in the fabric softener dispenser when I do mine, not sure if it helps but the suit smells like lexol when it comes out. I run the washer for a couple of empty cycles after I'm finished so my wife doesn't know.

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

And what are the consequences if she finds out? :Poke:

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Obviously, I don't want to find out.

speedluvn likes this.
  17. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

im not going to clean it but didnt know if i should condition it. doesnt conditioning keep the leather soft. i usually dont clean until may be 3 / 4 days of use

18. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Yup condition to keep the leather supple, and in its optimal condition to protect you by withstanding its max damage potential and likelihood of survival/longevity.

ajcjr likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I just use the track surface to scrub off excess bug and dirt buildup every couple years (sometimes more often...). A 4 hour endurance race in the rain works well too.

20. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

I did mine in the tub when I bought a used suit. Warm water and some laundry detergent. Even left pads in. Just scrubbed it down with a cloth.

I let it dry laying flat on a plastic sheet with a fan in a warm dry room, turning it over and applying leather conditioner. Took a couple days.

The leather (white) came clean and didn't smell like some other dude's funk.

Mille R likes this.