1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Fiber Wheels Current Wisdom

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhino48, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

This is what I was going to ask, waist of money?? I’ve considered them for my R1. The ones who have them seem to say they make a huge difference in turning much faster. I just don’t see it being as noticeable as some claim but would like to get a set someday.

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Sorry, got swamped, and just getting back to the forum. KTM 1290 Superduke since that seems to matter.

I have not checked Core Moto I guess, but never seen anything but BST or Carbon when I've searched "aftermarket wheels" for the bike.

3. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

I have Marchesini forged aluminum wheels and they made a huge difference in handling. HUGE!

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Contact Luke McCracken at Core Moto, as he has a 1290 SD. I’m guessing, they’re in development.

This orange looks pretty nice.

Attached Files:

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Rhino48

Might be a bit much orange for me, but those look good. I'll try to give him a shout in the next day or two.

ducnut likes this.
  6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Definitely not a waste of money.

As One2 mentioned if switching from cast aluminum to a good brand forged aluminum can reap excellent handling benefits, then what do you think switching to CF rims will do? Honestly, an argument can be made for both street and track applications. Street, bike flickability can make the difference between crashing and not due to cagers and the plethora of other hazards out there. On the track, well handling so nuff said.

If you have the cash, swap your rotors out for BrakeTech CMC Rotors and you'll feel like your front end isn't there anymore. You almost feel like you're telepathically communicating with the bike because of how lightweight the front end becomes.

dteal23 likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um if that focus group comes from the R1 forum... well use the info dividend for the $$$ you paid.

Pretty sure @MELK-MAN and a few other current racers have actual laptime data showing wheels are worth less time than a quickshifter or auto blipper. Also modern bike wheels of the cast aluminum type are pretty light. The R1 is the preferred conversion for gsxr ridrs on a budget.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

OZ claims to make them: https://www.ozmotorbike.com/images/download/OZ-Motorbike_application-list.pdf

In addition to BST and Dymag, supposedly Rotobox are another CF option as well for the SD

[​IMG]

masshole and Phl218 like this.
  9. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

PVM Forged Magnesium for the win … a good difference in weight. I have a Dymag Carbon set for reference.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

-not sure if i have data that will indicate actual faster lap times.. and interestingly enough, i only use a FRONT magn. on the R6. I really do NOT LIKE the REAR lighter wheel on on my bikes. Tough to explain it, but it changes engine braking way too much, and is almost too quick to fall in, and i have less "feel" on the rear of the bike with a rear lightweight wheel. I've had the same set of marchesini wheels since 2007, and i can count on 1 hand the times i've used the rear. I often try it for a session here and there "just cause". but it goes back in the trailer .. lol!
    -I remember reading an article where Roger Hayden and T Ellias tested lightweight wheels at Barber or somewhere, and both liked the slightly heavier aluminum wheels vs the lightest magnesium wheels. Stating in some part, what i mentioned above..

-BUT I LOVE THE FRONT MAG WHEEL!! :) The bike is so much easier to flick back and forth in chicanes. Entering a single sweeping turn ? not such a big deal. But in and out of the chicane at Daytona, 7-8-9-10 at Jennings, BARBER (everywhere), Summit point 5-6-7-8.. the list goes on.

Prodigy, TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They're not even allowed to run the lighter weight Mg stuff in WSBK anymore. I believe Mg is still the material of choice for MotoGP wheels though.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

TurboBlew, pscook and 2blueYam like this.
  13. Rhino48

Thanks Guys. Clarification: Waste of money for what I'm doing with them - fat old guy doing track days who likes to have an extra set of rims for less mounting/demounting from road tires. I do not need Carbon for this, but with OEM new and used running for what they are, another $1-1.5k I can have some schwag too.

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you can swing it, why not? I bet once you ride on them you won't want to swap back to the OEM on street or track though, so you might as well sell them...

15. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Great feedback.

But did coupling the light front with the standard rear cause any stability/balance issues?

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Mags definitely provide a different and desirable response to inputs. I can only imagine that the difference carbon would make over mags is a step above.
    Have mags for the Duc, used the stock wheels/rotors/pads for wet tracks. Mags got their own rotors and pads.
    Stock wheels aren't that far off from aftermarket alu wheels in weight so the effects of forged or whatever alu may be negligible. It all really matters where the weight is when making comparisons.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

nope.. been winnin races and championships since 2007 on the same bikes..
    Going from a 180/55 tire, to a big heavy 190/55 or 180/60 doesn't cause any instability issues right? and that bigger tire is a few lb heavier, with ALL the weight on the outside (vs having less effect if it were further in, spinning close to the axle.)

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

We get all our metal supplies from them. We have a big business account. Hmmmm. Wonder what kind of deals I could get..

19. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I went ahead and went with BST's. I would have ordered the Braketech CMC rotors if they were available, but they're currently not available. So I have just regular old Axis Iron full floaters with it.

i am really interested to see how they go on my 250, and see what it ends up weighing with all the light weight stuff on it.

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i also got BSTs with Braketech Irons for my little project here. March Mag up front and March Alum rear for my other project. why not do it if the money isn't a problem? they're light as shit, no ifs ands or buts about it. its like picking up a bicycle wheel when i opened the box.