1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Two wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not that I've seen.

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Who you shopping rates with? They all use different underwriting methodologies and it can make a huge difference with low volume items like motorcycles. For example, Progressive models rates on displacement. IE, a Vulcan will be in the same risk category as an R1. Geico models at least on displacement and bike category, so sport bikes are distinct from cruisers or dual sports. They might use additional variables but I’m not sure. A few years ago I quoted just liability/UM on like a FZR1000, they wanted 400 for liability and 1200 for uninsured motorist for 6 months! I said fuck that. A Drz400 was 200 total for 6 months for liability and UM. I’m in Los Angeles, so the rates for sport bikes are fucking crazy even without full coverage. I think this was Geico, who were my car carrier too.

Go used and avoid full coverage, get a dual sport or naked and go with Geico if possible.

I think the insurance rates are definitely a huge impediment. I can afford full coverage on a liter bike, but I simply don’t want to as that exorbitant insurance money could do better for me elsewhere. Hence I’m simply not interested in a 1000cc sportbike.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Another HUGE issue on insurance is where you live - lots of cities with a big chunk added for theft.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Foremost FTW....race track coverage...military friendly since they are partnered with USAA....and they sponsor motorcycle racing/motorsports.

I pay less than $100 mo. full coverage 100/300, low deductible, accessories, etc etc..

'13 RSV4
    '16 Tuono RR
    '13 WR450F (comp)
    '13 HD Night Rod Special
    '18 Polaris XP Turbo

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Back in 2005 my auto insurance company that I had been with for 10 years at that point, quoted me a premium of $7,000 a year for a new Thruxton that I paid cash for at the dealer:eek:. I was 35 miles from the closest city back then.

6. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

I tried Geico, State Farm, Farmers, and they couldn't come close to the Progressive I was getting through USAA (the rates below).

The BMW is a track bike at this point and non-op'd, as is the R3. The street triple is all I have active at the moment and it's dinging me for ~$148/month right now. Taking collision off it will probably save me $70/month as soon as it's paid off this year.

7. Critter

Critter Registered

So before we get to far with insurance, how many millenials do you think can drive a bike out of the parking lot? They can't even drive a manual car

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Being a snowflake millennial myself, I feel obligated to say that I do both :cool: That said, it's not like you pick up those skills automatically. If no one has a manual car in your family or friends how would you learn?

On topic, my first faired Supersport was around $60/mo when I was in my early 20s. Pricy but not terrible. That said, it was through Dairyland Insurance (who? :D) and they were like half the price of everyone else.

Anyways, I'm off to go eat some avacado toast with kale and then go hunt for some "likes" on social media.

jrsamples, scottn and pscook like this.
  9. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I haven't been 22 in a number of years either... :crackup:

10. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I never had a payment on it.. But still carried full coverage.

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I bought a new ZRX1200 a few years back. The salesman attempted to explain to me where the clutch lever was. I wonder if they would have let me ride away if I really didn't know how?

12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’m 41 and Full coverage on my 07 Tuono is about $300 per year. When I got a quote for a 2016 1299 Panigale it was over $2500 per year. I said fuck it and bought it anyway and just hurried up and paid it off in a few months.

On the topic of shifting gears... manuals are just about dead in cars. Why would I wanna row through the gears when the 8 speed sport auto can bang out the shifts in less than 1/2 the time my arm can? Even my Ducati has clutchless up and down shifts leaving the left lever useless except for coming to or leaving from a stop. And you know what?....... it’s better than any bike I ever had before it.

I think the OP is just having a “get off my lawn moment”.

13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

What's funny is that the Euro nakeds are a lot cheaper to insure than even Japanese nakeds.

Full coverage through Progressive (I used to have Dairyland before they jacked up the rates in my part of FL) for my 2017 FZ-09 is $600/yr. I could have dropped down the premium some more if I went with bare minimum coverage amounts as well.

Before I bought the FZ-09, I had quotes run on a 2017 Tuono 1100, 2017 S1000R and 2017 FZ-10. The Tuono and S1000RR were both around $550 and the FZ-10 was $775 for the year. Still plenty of fun to be had from liter bike nakeds. :D

14. Critter

Critter Registered

I hope everyone realizes the high cost of insurance is in direct correlation to the cost of the bikes and the cost of the replacement parts

15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Fuck, that’s expensive but I’ve seen worse. That’s slightly less than I’m paying full coverage for 2 cars with decent limits. Definitely pays to buy a used bike only. Are they giving you a break for having cars under the same insurance too?

Yeah with collision, but that doesn’t seem to be the most expensive part. When I quoted a liter bike they wanted triple for uninsured motorist than for liability! There’s no way in hell I am riding a motorcycle on the road in SoCal without uninsured motorist coverage, so dropping it ain’t an option.

16. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

USAA won't insure motorcycles in California unless you are grandfathered in. So my policies don't see each other because one is underwritten by Progressive.