1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1/2" drive cordless impact

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by yokohama1, Apr 3, 2019.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Looking for an impact to change wheels on a quick change set up. Not hard to find many options but most will crank out between 250 and 300 ft/lb of torque and I don't believe that you can set torque on any, other than using common sense when tightening down. I believe Fast Frank axels are supposed to be torqued in the 50lb. range. Using this specifically for endurance pit stops so trying to keep things quick. Does everyone tighten then finish with a torque wrench or practice getting close to the desired torque with the impact and go. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Unless you're doing Ducati (single sided) rear wheels, the new Milwaulkee Fuel 3/8ths impact with lithium batteries zip wheels on and off just fine. You can also adjust the torque setting. I set them with a manual wrench first, mark the nut position, then in the future I just zip them down with the impact until the marks I've made line up.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2758-20

Patrick Hannigan and ducnut like this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Make marks like he said, or use a torque stick.

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Unless you just specifically want a 1/2 drive (for other stuff like lug nuts on truck's, etc) a 3/8 drive would be plenty big enough. Then buy yourself a "torque stick" extension for the rated torque you need, and you're good to go. I've got a 120 ft lb torque stick for the toy hauler wheels and a 160 ft lb torque stick for the dually wheels

5. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Appreciate the suggestions.
    I really don't place a lot of faith in online reviews but it seems the Milwaukee 3/8" does not torque to what the manufacturer says. One reviewer claims he was only able to get 46 ft/lb. I would prefer a 3/8" as it would be more practical for most things I would use it for.
    Funny that I have never heard about torque sticks. I assume that they are fairly accurate? I also wonder are torque wrenches and torque sticks accurate for left handed threads. The Fast Frank axle is left handed. I thought i remember being told as a young lad not to loosen nuts with the torque wrench.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah I wouldnt put much faith in someones negative review. My 1/2" impact has adjustable settings... first setting is pretty tame going by the rythym of the impacts and goes up.
    Starts at like 2-3 per second to hummingbird speed...lol

yokohama1 likes this.
  7. Wheel Bearing

Just get the 1/2" drive so you can use it to help set the stabilizer jacks on your trailer, road side tire removal, etc.

yokohama1 and TurboBlew like this.
  8. Wheel Bearing

Just like a good woman, the good torque wrenches can go both ways. Torque sticks, by nature of how they operate, don't care which direction it is going.

yokohama1 likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The Milwaukee stuff is really good, much stronger than the DeWalt stuff I have. I’m slowly switching everything over.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

I have a Milwaukee M18 1/2". Haven't come across something I haven't been able to get off yet. It's good stuff.

TurboBlew likes this.