1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Two wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Mar 29, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Remember the last time we had this discussion? I changed my DOB from 78 to 98 and got a quote on a 2017 GSX-R1000. It was $10k/yr.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The draw to motorcycles isnt and never will be ease of use. People that want that will go buy a Camry instead where they can stay warm and dry.

Motorcycles are anout personality, being at one with the machine and the stimulation of the senses they provide. Funny thing about bikes, when you round the edges too much and make everything work too well they lose their charecter and what makes them attractive to people.

cpettit, TurboBlew and jrsamples like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, but the cool and attractive parts can all easily be shut down in younger riders by the cost.

4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Literally how I finally got a new to me bike 11yrs after buying my F4i. Cheap enough to buy with a credit card so I don't need full coverage. Which means I'll never buy new. Not good for manufacturers.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My last two I did new and financed because the rates were stupid low - and I keep full on them anyway since I know what bodywork costs :D However, I'm over 50 and they aren't sport bikes.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Went to the Yamaha Demo day today.....you’d never know there was a slowing of m/c sales.

7. turner38

I think that is a very large reason sport ikes are suffering. Those of us that can afford the insurance to buy new will buy something more well rounded instead of a new 600 or thousand.
    About a month ago I was in the Market for a new bike for myself. Looked at all the stuff I would be interested in, The Z900rs, the GSXF, the Yamamaha’s. Bikes that the race classes are built around werent even on the radar....
    Nothing fit, actually had a seat for the wife to ride along or didnt look like Fido’s ass. Ended up buying back a ZRX I used to own.

ducnut likes this.
  8. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I've had a 900 streetbike (to be fair it's a naked but listed as a 900cc supersport on my insurance) since I was 22 and I've never paid more than $300 a year for full coverage on it... If you can't afford that then you need to reevaluate your life.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What is it?

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Different generations have different expectations. Very few people would be willing to deal with the "character" of a 1969 BSA anymore.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Honda 919. I realize it's not a 600 or a 1000, and bodywork makes a big difference, but manufacturers are making more and more nakeds nowadays and to say "no one under 40 can afford a street bike with a bank note" just isn't true. Unless your definition of street bike is a 600/1000 supersport and then it might be closer to accurate.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that is exactly what Mongo was saying. Under 25, full bodywork, with full coverage can be brutal. A 919 is not considered a sport bike by the insurance companies. It is a standard - no bodywork to tear up. My ZRX, when I had full coverage (latest company wouldn’t quote me comp and collision) was running over $600 a year. That was for an over 40 year old with a good driving record and multi bike discounts.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

At Daytona... the Indian demo was an unsupervised ride. And they had plenty of bikes so you could have spent all day riding different new motorbikes. I put so many miles on a $40,000 cruiser barge... my chest and shoulders were sore the next day...lol
    Yamaha, Harley, and Kawi were tightly supervised and guided. Suzuki was put on by a local dealer and even worse...
    I wanted to drive that 3 wheeled thing from Vanderhall... but they were sold out by 10am. I had fun with the slingshot last year...

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on the company, some go just by displacement, others by body style and displacement. Overall through I'm talking about the popular sport bikes moreso than nekkids or cruisers.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It also hasn't been made in like 15 years. Cost of replacement can't be more than $3500.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I was kind of wondering why anyone would have a payment on a 919 :D

17. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

I live in Commiefornia and am in my mid 30s. I shopped around and got quoted upwards of $6K for one bike.

S1000RR is ~$3,500/year for full coverage.
    Street Triple is ~$1,600/year for full coverage.
    Yamaha R3 is ~$1,200/year for full coverage.

Shit is bonkers.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Minimal insurance for a 1972 ct90 with a historic plate that limits usage in Michigan is 276 a year. Mich insurance rates suck, but damn

19. turner38

Full coverage through State Farm on the ZX14 was $360ish a year for me in Tennessee

The 2005 ZRX isnt much cheaper at $318 a year.

20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Is there a MotoAmerica at Road Atlanta thread yet?

jrsamples likes this.