1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 RD400

Discussion in 'General' started by pushystone, Mar 29, 2019.

1. pushystone

pushystone Well-Known Member

always loved these and one just popped up locally.
    rebuilt motor, aftermarket gauges and pipes (originals gone)
    Tank appears to be from an XS...but the owner has the original tank.

So - do I jump on this right away for $2500? 00y0y_gV3inAGxXlM_600x450.jpg

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Not an expert on RDs by any means, but 2500 seems a little high for a vintage bike that far from original spec.

3. onenut

onenut Well-Known Member

I'd say its on the higher side, but not out of line if the motor is fresh and not hacked together and you run it as is.

That's not worth trying to restore IMO.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I don't think it's crazy high at all. I've been seeing originals go for the $4K range so this seems to be about market. If you like it, buy it. It isn't going to lose value.

Banditracer, joec and lee955i like this.
  5. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

At the shop I work at, the boss had a 74 RD 400 setting in the back for about 10-12 years . All original, pristine condition. I offered him 800 bucks for it when I started there. He turned it down I got it running, He sold it on e-bay about 2 months ago for $6500. Local guy bought it

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Are aftermarket parts really a bad thing? Your getting it to enjoy not make money on right?

7. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

I say grab it — they are a blast - for 2.5 can’t go wrong if it is all straight and runs strong.. I like the rear sets and cut seat looks better than stock cleaned up like that- and the mags — so where is it?

Banditracer likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah...you guys living someplace where a clean, running, piped RD like that can be had for less than 2500...let me know. No like seriously...ive got 25k in the bank. Ill take 10 of those, drive them to CA and make 15-20k.

pscook likes this.
  9. For 2500 that’s in the price range of who cares and if you want it buy it. I say go for it.

pscook and Banditracer like this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If I saw that bike around here for that price, I would be making a beeline to check it out with a stack of bills in the exact amount of that asking price, then negotiate as necessary. Good price if it is as advertised, could be a great price if it satisfies your obsession/compulsion.

11. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

It’s had a little bit of the “cafe” treatment but as long as the original frame is not hacked too badly and the owner has the parts $2500 is good price for a well running 400

12. Last sentence was spot on. The value of something depends on the product and the purchasers want for that product. If for example this bike is 2500 but maybe you “could” one day find one a bit better for the same price or pay more for a mint one if this suffices your needs and wants at the time it’s a good value to you. Now if you paid $5k for it maybe a different story maybe not. For some with wealthy folks their time isn’t worth the extra 2500 to spend finding the same bike etc. Others may wait a year to save $500. My jeeps a good example, a lot of people say that it’s a waste of money, etc. well to me it’s a good value because a) I use it what it’s made to do b) cheaper than a coupe sxs so there is value to be able to drive it on road. C) good stress relief

pscook likes this.
  13. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Those were great bikes. I paid $1200 for mine. Wanna hear a racing story? Fred Spencer Sr. used to show up at Oak Hill Raceway with a motorhome and a landscape trailer full of bikes for Freddie, ranging from a TA125 all the way up to a GS750. One day they forgot to bring his stock RD400. Dirk James, a hotshoe from up north, had come to visit and we sure didn't need him winning in our back yard so I offered my bike to Freddie for the production race. He said, " Naw, you go ahead and ride it. You can beat him." And so I did, my first win. Unfortunately they never forgot the stock bike again and it would be another two years before I won again.

rd400racer and Ian178 like this.
  14. pushystone

thanks. the bike is here in MT.
    I would not buy it to make money, but ride the thing! However, I have a feeling, unless I crash it, it will never drop in value.
    It is not close though, 3 hours drive.
    I know it will not be fast compared to today's modern bikes - but are they fast enough to not get bored right away?

Thanks,

15. rd400racer

:crackup:

Trust me, you won't get bored!

pscook likes this.
  16. pushystone

cool - leaning heavily toward this.

Thoughts on durability?
    blow up pistons?

17. pushystone

Maybe I will take you up that. If I pick it up and don't like it - you can sell it for me!

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

They are pretty durable but still a 2 stroke. I got 4 years out of ringing mines neck. If you have issues with the points there are aftermarket ignitions available to eliminate them.

Economycycle.com has all the parts you need to rebuild one. I'm rebuilding my 74 RD350 right now.

upload_2019-4-1_10-57-7.png

upload_2019-4-1_10-57-20.png

upload_2019-4-1_10-57-40.png

britx303 and rd400racer like this.
  19. pushystone

wow, Good to know all the parts are there. But I have no intention of getting myself into a project that large!

20. rd400racer

FWIW, a monkey with a ball peen hammer can work on an RD...they're that simple. I know, I have the hammer:D

This is how I work on mine...

[​IMG]