1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is amatuer racing dead or i just a dinosaur and left in the tar-pits

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Mar 27, 2019.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Maybe back then, but it wouldn’t today.

OEM bikes are pricey. Tires can be replaced often. Hardware changes that can’t be policed would need to be allowed. Serious racers would pay for private coaching. It all inflates the cost a lot.

Plus, race orgs like getting racers to pay for SS and SBK. If u made the gap btw two classes larger, say PROD and SBK, maybe less ppl would race both.

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because no one is keeping their streetbikes stock. Requiring full production bikes would keep more people from racing.

As for the thread overall - have you not been paying any attention outside of the dungeon for the last decade? We cover this whole thing repeatedly.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sort of, we did production for Novices to keep it cheap and SS for experts, then the Novices could no longer buy expert race bikes since no one kept the stock pipes along with no one keeping stock pipes on street bikes so we canned production altogether.

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well for me personally it is exactly that, I am slow and I am totally fine with that. I have no desire to go racing and push any limits but I totally get the wanting to go faster than street pace with limited safety issues. If I had the time/energy I would absolutely be a track day rider and not a racer.

5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I ignored the first one....

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

If you want to race a cheap bike that is also competitive, it’s going to have to be a vintage bike that has already had all the suspension upgrades done to it, and depreciated to an affordable price point.

I don’t understand why this isn’t already the popular route. Maybe it is with the LWT crowd.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

In case you ever activate on your thought of doing trackdays. Here’s some good advice I found on YouTube. :crackup:

j cal and JBall like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So we've finally found your limit… :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, just hadn't gone back to figure out who posted it until I saw the second one. Most of the time you guys think I'm letting it slide I just skimmed past it thinking it was a still shot or a gif, I don't really pay close attention to the stupid shit :D

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If he doesn't make it through his next panic attack, it's on you.

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Some people just don't need to compete. In advanced group there are always faster riders then me to tag onto and learn from.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You must skim almost everything on here then. :D

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So is this now a Speedy E free zone?

Free Speedy E, for he knew not what he hath done! He didn't mean it.:blart:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, not the first BBS member I've hurt like that.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, and it is still a few hours every day.

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Meh, just depends on what classes you run. Stock/cheap bikes can still win in most classes without tons of experience or schools and shit. I won a plethora of races on a cheap SV in lwt novice in just my second year and my toughest competitor (tuna, for those of you that know him) was just as fast on even cheaper, stocker equipment than my own. Taking as much time to learn from faster guys, tuning your equipment yourself, etc. will get you farther than a $20k bike. My grandfather had a decently successful amateur flat track career and even back then he was spending tons of time talking to the pros, learning about lines, racecraft, and setup as well as spending tons of time tuning and testing his own machine which was basically free. Just a lot of labor.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Well, Speedy has had the same privilege like Metalhead of being excluded of their own zones for the longest time

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

If you're talking 24 Hours of Lemons style, that would be opening a big can of worms. There would be a serious amount of paperwork and research involved to enforce whatever price cap was in place. Would the riders and crew need to dress up in costume when they go through Tech Inspection? What kinds of punishment could the officials come up with for infractions? (Contact with another rider: Must bake a pie for Mongo before rider may rejoin race. Second offense: Must wait until Mongo finishes eating the pie before they can rejoin.)