1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Essence of Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and a universal pay rate for all the riders? So that all the motogp riders are paid exactly the same amount? So that Quartararo makes exactly the same as Crutchlow and Rossi? :D

BigBird likes this.
  2. And make them all weigh the same too, can’t have any more Pedro’s or Dave K’s out there. Even drag racing you have to manage tires for the conditions, it’s part of it. F1 has massive factors for tire management and the racing still sucks ass (and I still keep watching it FFS). Maybe aupercross oe the likes tire wear isn’t much of an issue but I’m sure tire selection is. I know some started using warmers even. Tire management makes things better IMO, look at Rea/ Bautista in one of the last races. First thing I said was Rea is going to run out of tire before too long and his pace dropped and Bautistas didn’t. It’s all part of it. I want to see riders have to manage their tires, as long as everyone has the same tires to choose from. I’m all for spec tires as well.

BigBird, pscook and Phl218 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Tire management is part of race craft.
    Just like instagram accounts or elbows down :D some might not like it but it’s part of it now

BigBird likes this.
  4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Tire management is the essence of racing, and racing.........is the essence.........of beauty.

*swims away*

BigBird, socalrider and mpusch like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

In the most simple sense the essence of racing is to compete with your business rivals while developing and improving the products that are being used.

6. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Thought this was gonna be another thread in line with the cooking thread but about a new Cologne that V.R. is promoting.... Guess it still could be. Love the essence of race gas (or any gas for that matter).

Phl218 likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not knowledgeable enough about rubber technology to know if it is possible to build a tire that can both give adequate levels of grip for 20-23 laps for a 250hp motorcycle....whether that is beyond the chemical and physical limitations of the properties of the ingredients that are currently available in modern race tire.

Fortunately they are able to make a motor last at full power for the length of a race, and generally speaking the brakes as well (we don't tend to hear much about brakes going off towards the end of the race nearly as often as we do about tires). When we hear about issues with brakes they simply do things like use larger rotors, add cooling ducts, manipulate the braking materials etc.

Maybe rubber/tire technology is just as its physical limits.

8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I have no doubt a tire could be made that have consistent performance over the course of a 30 lap race. But the peak performance would be lower. I think it's a worthwhile trade off given that it's even ground for all riders. That's also why they offer different compounds in every round.

Tire management is part of racing, always has, always will be. I do understand the want to see 'how fast they can actually go.' And I must say, I've enjoyed the 10 lap sprints of the 'superpole race' that WSBK now uses to determine grid positions for race 2.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Michelin used to make "saturday night specials" for MotoGP which gave perfect performance for that rider for the full duration of the race. WSBK as well, which is why Colin did so well (one of many reasons) in both GP and SBK, and then became a test rider wqhen Michelin came on as the spec tire.

There were races where riders would set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap. Not any more as the tires are designed to cover a wide range of conditions and riding styles (as well as handling characteristics, which is one reason why Ducati did so well with the 'Stones at the beginning of the 4T era).

10. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

You pretty much summed it up right there.

Excellent points all around.

11. Spec tires certainly level the playing field, no different than ama and top of the trailer Dunlop’s back in the day.

Prospect and pscook like this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

The stones could last the whole race at optimum race pace, the same thing in F1, but the promoters wanted more tire degradation to add "excitement" well here we are. In F1 it makes more sense to have tire degradation, since they have pit stops, but in MotoGP, I would rather seem optimal grip for the entirety of the race.

But, it's fine seeing Dovi drop the pace two seconds at the front mid-race, this way Rossi could be 0.6 seconds away from the front :)

Prospect likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think it was better when pit stops were optional. Make one tire that can last the entire race, and one that's faster to the point of making a pitstop worth the gamble. See how things shake out. It's boring when everyone has the same strategy.

Banditracer, Mot Okstef and BigBird like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

that is true. that was about the last time that I really followed F1, and the will he pit in or stay out was always intriguing.

15. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

That's an interesting idea.....I wonder how open the riders would be to it.
    But if I could pick one scenario, it would still be tires that give consistent performance throughout and have the rider/bike package make the difference.
    While pit stops do add an exciting aspect, you allow other factors that are outside of the rider's control to influence the results. Ex. pit incidents a la Iannone et Marquez.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Like when Mladin and Yosh figured out 3 stops was faster at Daytona.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just to be clear, I was describing the way things used to be in F1, not MotoGP. With the shorter motorcycle races, there would be much less of an incentive for pit stops except for what we already have, when the weather/track conditions change.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I hate spec tires, especially in MotoGP. I say bring back the tire wars. If someone wants to run ultra softs and do a pit stop during the race, then I am all for that. That would be a great spectacle. I hate concrete tires!

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I would also like to see the races go from 45 minutes to 60+. Maybe 75 minutes. Engines no longer blow up. We need that back :)

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I like the current length. It's long enough for guys to have a strategy, but short enough to remain intense at all times. Plus, there three races on Sunday. I'm good with it.

BigBird likes this.