1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chance to buy rd350/400

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by SpeedyE, Mar 22, 2019.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Buddy has a basket case for $800.
    RD350 chassis + 350 motor + 400 motor + 1970's California made NOS racing bodywork.

Is it worth driving over and taking a look at it? He about 10 minutes from me.
    Anything I should be looking at, or aware of?
    Or is $800 not a good deal, and so why bother?
    Thank you.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Complete? If so, and it's in "ready to assemble" condition, then that's not a bad price. But (and it's big), the crank is the concern if it's been exposed to the weather. Also piston/bore size as you only can go so bike, and lots of racers maxed out the bore, then parked them as the four strokes/modern bikes got more popular.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Take pics, post up here. Then we‘ll see

Doesn‘t sound bad but there‘s also a bucket of „if‘s“ that comes with it

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

RD's are seriously fun. If the engines are good,i'd snag them in a heartbeat if I was looking for a project.

5. SpeedyE

Im out of work/money....super stressed(!!!)....thinking it might give me something to do.....like therapy.

I go take pix and post

:)

britx303 and Gimmie Mo like this.
  6. Gimmie Mo

Gimmie Mo I screw things up daily..

Out of work and money..and buying a project bike...lol...my kinda guy..

motion and SpeedyE like this.
  7. SpeedyE

LOL!
    It's my friend, he on th beeb.....he prolly let just me take it, and when done w/ restore, I sell it and pay him :)

Gimmie Mo likes this.
  8. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

img_2719_22756933527_o.jpg RDs are serious fun. I had a RD400 for years. It was also a basket case when I got it. Needed crank rebuild, (new seals, bearings & rods), rebore & new pistons. That lot cost me more than the price I paid for the bike. I sold the bike on eventually and of course never made back what I put in it. It was still totally worth it for the fun factor:)

Gimmie Mo, SpeedyE, lrrs517 and 5 others like this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

@BlueR32 thats a really clean rider! Nice!

10. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

350 cranks are available aftermarket, as are most of the other engine parts. 400 cranks are NLA, no one makes an aftermarket one, bu they are rebuild-able using modern parts. RD400 engines fetch decent money if you wanted to recoup some of your investment. Either way, $800 sounds fair.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

I was a member on 2strokeworld.com for many years (not sure what has happened but it seems the website is NLA). The guys & gals on there were a wealth of information about RDs particularly. Two names of RD motor rebuilders who spring to mind are Lyn Garland and Chuck Quenzler. If you can track either of them down they will do a top job on crank re-build and/or reboring.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. britx303

I thought I read somewhere the cranks were the same between the 350's and 400's.......just the bore made the CC difference.........no??

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. yamageezer

Both 64mm bores (as are RD350LC and RZ350YPVS, RD400 has 62mm stroke vs 54mm on the 350s

SpeedyE and britx303 like this.
  14. yamageezer

Also Crankworks, Scott Clough, Tony Doukas and Ed Toomey.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. britx303

Ah gotcha.I had it backwards.Thanks:beer:

yamageezer likes this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So did you get it? RD's are the shit and RZ's just amp that fun up about 6 more notches. Ed Toomey is the man. I sent my RZ head to him for some cleanup and he did it the same day it arrived at his shop and shipped it out the next day. The most amazing service I've ever received.

Before...

[​IMG]

And after...

[​IMG]

SpeedyE and motosapien like this.
  17. SpeedyE

WOW, thats beautiful work!!!!! TY.

No, not yet, I am just started working w/ a PTSD/Abuse therapist, Im still not physically functional, yet......Im a f'n wreck, LOL. When I feel comfortable, Ill go get pics and post, for sure. Thats what is keeping me from visisting the NOS Arillias and getting pix for you guys.

My hope is to get better enuff soon, and then get the package pics from my friend and use the build as therapy. I update/pics as soon as I go :)

THat is beautiful work the guy did to the head. The damage repair is flawless!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    rd400racer likes this.
  18. SpeedyE

I wonder if he Tig welded up the dents and resurfaced, or just ground them, blended them?? I would be interested to know that. Its beautiful