1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Free Solo” Movie - Climbing El Kapitan with no Rope

Discussion in 'General' started by Monsterdood, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Says the guy who races motorcycles trying to go as fast as possible??

2. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

'Merica! Home of the kettle calling the pot black.

baconologist likes this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Without making a judgment call on what level of risk *should* be acceptable, he’s clearly mentally not right.

He talked at length in his interviews of his melancholy childhood and not feeling loved by anyone, and you can see in his dealings with his GF that he’s high up on the Aspy/autism spectrum. Even his statement at the end that maybe someone will do “something more rad” than his climb (to me) indicates a lack of agency in the decision-making process.

That being said, watched it over the weekend and the cinematography was fucking breathtaking. The fact that he did that climb and then decided to go workout afterwards put my not getting to the gym for the last several months into perspective.

-Armchair Psychiatrist

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Why is your or societys level of “acceptable” risk pertinant to him and his life, If he’s not impacting you or society.

It’s obvious he’s an Aspie from his demeanor, lack of expressions and conversations. But with those societal exclusions come the factors that he’s more intune with his natural suroundings. His capacity to absorb information in minute detaial should be much higher. All adding to build his confidence he could complete the climb.

-Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

5. SuddenBraking

"Without making a judgment call on what level of risk *should* be acceptable, he’s clearly mentally not right."

I generally try not to bury the lede ;)

6. Captain Morgan

nothing wrong with crazy, to each their own, he climbed a mountain in 4 hours with no ropes, what did you do today?

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Never understood the "we better stop this before he hurts himself" mentality. Some people are made to do shit like that, just because you won't do it, doesn't mean that you need to stop him.

See, Isle of Man TT

baconologist and crusty9r like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

I’ve answered several emails and scheduled several meetings. I’ve also eaten several pickles.

Additionally, I’ve written a post on a forum that has been misconstrued by the first two people who’ve quoted it, so I guess the joke’s on me :confused:

Captain Morgan likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

Not sure if this post is directed at me or not (and if not, you can disregard), but I specifically stayed away from making any type of judgment of whether this, the T.T., etc., *should* be allowed to happen.

It’s legitimately the first sentence in my post.

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Why so defensive?
    I know I wasn’t asking for your opinion on the level of risk. I sp3ciffically referedto society in general. If you personaly agree with society, well, that’s on you man. But, I think you do judging by your follow up sentance regarding his infered mental competency.

The guy isn’t breaking any laws.....leave him be and don’t judge.

11. SuddenBraking

Not defensive at all, to be honest - sorry if it came across that way.

baconologist likes this.
  12. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

To clarify I was addressing this bit:

I don't believe in trying to stop someone from doing something they think is great. Some people will stop when they have a wife, or a kid, or sometimes never. She's signing up for that and she knows it.

tl1098 and SuddenBraking like this.
  13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

If climbing is his want in life, then more power to him to make a living at it. His girlfriend knows what she got into when she met him, and it should be up to him when he is done. Whether that be by decision or accident. I admire the guys will to do it, regardless of the possible outcome.

baconologist likes this.
  14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If you haven't watched it, "The Dawn Wall" is also a climbing movie.
    Albiet with ropes.

The spirit of those two guys is the same as in Free Solo.

15. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Alright, you guys convinced me so I just watched it and yeah... :eek:

2 things stuck out:

- I think he's a high functioning chip off Daddy's Autism block, just like someone else mentioned - he's an understandable Guy Martin in many respects.
    - His girlfriend is crazy cute.:Putter:

Great film overall and incredibly impressive feat on his part.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

One funny observation is that Jimmy (or his smokin hot chick who co-produced) takes some creative license with regard to Honnold’s GF’s climbing experience.

They repeatedly state that she’s not a climber, yet she met him when she went to a book signing to meet a pro climber, and is later shown 1000’ off the deck climbing with excellent technique. She may not be a professional, but is clearly an accomplished hobbyist. I’m not sure I could even climb some of the pitches she looked comfortable on...

Gino230 and badmoon692008 like this.
  17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing... like they mention she's "not a climber" and then show her waaaaay the fuck higher than I'd ever want to be off the ground climbing and working the ropes and shit like a pro.

SuddenBraking and JBraun like this.
  18. Captain Morgan

We all have a weakness and for damn sure climbing up a mountain is not your strong point.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. But realistically it just shows the level that they are climbing at, and how small and elite that community is. Think MotoGP vs. club racing.

JBraun likes this.
  20. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Keep in mind this was shot over a long period of time. Perhaps when they met she wasn’t that experienced, hence letting too much rope out when he fell and messing up another time. Just maybe, the shot they showed when she was further up was when they were further along in their training and she was becoming a more accomplished climber.