1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on heavy duty automotive lifts.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Mar 23, 2019.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Looking at maybe purchasing and lift. We have an account that has alot of Van's and pickup trucks loaded with utility bodys. Any thing I should pay attention to when looking at some lifts.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ceiling height...:D

Ive heard good thing about Rotary...have a customer that uses the 4 individual wheel lifts for shuttle buses.
    Also bendpak is supposed to be good...lots of those TV shows use them...but that may just be marketing...

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I've got a Rotary 12k symmetrical. Given my druthers I'd have an 18k instead. Sounds a little strained lifting the dually or the loaded up van.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I just helped friend install 2 post lift today. Brand is Challenger and seems pretty good. It say made for Snap on in China on it :)
    I would get 4 post.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

www.tuxedodistributors.com

Above link is my father in laws company.. each lift has a PDF you can open with all the info you should need.. I can get you anything at their cost.. PM me the model and your zip code and let me know if business or residential.

Marc

Sprinky and Phl218 like this.
  6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I would definately go with a four post lift for one ton trucks with utility beds and Vans, either a challanger or Rotary would be my choice. It is really nice to have it placed in the shop where you can drive straight onto it also....

7. assjuice cyrus

Problem with a 4 post is we do alot of brakes and tires,also room is limited in our odd shop layout.

8. assjuice cyrus

Wow! Fantastic I will take a look. Thank you very much.

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Oh and I will need your real name... wouldn’t want to pass your user Name over to someone I know...Lol

10. assjuice cyrus

:crackup::crackup: I'll send you a PM

11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Hit send all ... :D

12. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

that would be

Attn: Fucking Fraley!!!!

BigBird and assjuice cyrus like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My brother and a buddy both use nothing but Rotary in their shops. The only 4-posts they have are alignment racks and those have the sliding jacks to lift the vehicle for component replacement while on that lift.

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

That is what I had, wish I never sold it.

ducnut likes this.
  15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Buy as big as you can get two post then, they dont work very well with many vans and 1 ton chassis trucks...
    The drive on 4 post with sliding jacks is much safer for that stuff.

16. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

This thread is timely. My wife has inherited a 41 Nash from her father when he passed away. It was restored 20 years ago but needs to be gone through again due to it sitting from him not being able to drive it. I'd like to get it back in roadworthy shape for her along with gaining some room in my garage to store toys.

Can anyone chime in if a four post storage lift (residential style, not commercial) would be adequate for working on vehicles? How do the casters work on those? Are they meant to move around the lift with a vehicle on them or just empty? Honestly, a lot of the car forums seem to be completly lined with BS, I know the Beeb can sort through the BS and come up with a straight answer.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

All the ones of have seen use the weight of the lift and a wheel attachment to move them around. They are not meant to be moved with the car on them. Look for a lift that uses a solid column with a lift mechanism that slides over the outside surface of the column. Look up Backyard Buddy on YouTube as there is a fairly good video that describes the it.

Sprinky likes this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I wouldnt have a problem working on a car on a "storage lift". The ones ive seen have a mechanical safety so its not going to fall on you. One advantage of a true work on car 4 post is the ability to add a sliding jack to lift the front or rear off the ramps. That way you can do wheel/suspension service.
    If your "storage" lift has the ability to use a slide jack then go for it.

And like Kenny said...the wheel kits are for moving the lift around empty. At least the ones Ive seen in person. It would be pretty sketch to try and wheel that thing around with 3000lbs 5 ft in the air. Im sure people have and still do it....i wouldnt.

Sprinky likes this.
  19. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

we put a 2 post Bendpac in our shop. Works great for picking up Jeeps and my service trucks. Also works well for picking up Skidsteer. Good Machine, glad we bought it. If I recall correctly it is rated to lift 12,000 lbs.