1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yard maintenance equipment woes...

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Mar 21, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

For that E85 FTW.....i laugh at your puny corn content....

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

well sir...I don't disagree at all. but without too much calc, i'll take some easy e15

3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I converted my weed wacker and blower to battery and will never go back! EGO power is amazing stuff! I also run straight race gas in my lawnmower and starts first pull every time.

sbk1198 likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I have 3 places within 15 miles that sell recreational fuel (aka rec gas) and its 91 octane. This is the only shit that doesn't force me to clean my carb on my screaming CT90 beer chase vehicle.

And with a bunch of 2 strokes in the garage the leftover pre mix works fine in the mower and the oil keeps it stable for a long time.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

I Have the ego leaf blower and its excellent, but the battery dies fairly quickly and another battery is super expensive. But compared to my plug in one, the ego crushes it power wise.

I also have the Ryobi battery setup for string trimmer and the hedge trimmer and they work well too at those tasks, except the string wears out quickly.

Sent from my smatrfone

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Add Stabil ;)

I do it with all my yard equipment and never had a problem.

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I've added Startron I think it's called but still had a hell of a time starting the snow thrower. Wonder if stabil is better

Sent from my smatrfone

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

or better yet... drain the fuel out after every use...lol.
    I was duped by a local station selling "ethanol free" for years... then one day my tractor started acting funny.
    I knew it got nothing but "eth free" so Im checking the plug, cap, etc.
    After none of those change anything... I relunctantly pull the carb and mother effer was the bowl completely trashed with rust/scale! Glad I had a spare. Same thing happened with my genny. I was pretty hot about it... started a spreadsheet with the receipt dates/amount and wanted to ask for 100% refund of all money spent there...lol

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Stabil doesn't work for me or the local powersports shop and we can both confirm the stuff clogs carbs. Switched to seafoam 2 years ago and ethanol free rec gas and no problems since!

tony 340 and TurboBlew like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

13. SuddenBraking

I'd just never heard that it clogged carbs before so I googled it and came across that. I can't say if it's true or not but anecdotally it's *worked* for me for the past ~10 years of maintaining lawn equipment.

*Worked defined as not broken anything but I've got no control group to compare to.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The original Sta Bil didn't with ethanol gas, they had to reformulate and came out with a new one.

15. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I have never had any issues with yard equipment. But then I use a service. Too lazy to do it myself lol.

16. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Honestly for homeowner use, especially in areas where you get 6 months of winter and your tools and mowers are just going to sit for that long, I prefer the battery powered stuff. More and more companies are coming out with them and they've gotten better, while battery technology is also getting better. I have a battery blower, and a battery trimmer at home. I just borrowed a battery push mower which I'm about to mow my lawn with today. They're so much more quiet and you don't have to worry about gas, oil, changing filters, etc. And also don't have to worry about carbs gumming up and not starting after 6 months of sitting around with fuel in them. I'm totally sold on that stuff. I got rid of all my gas-powered yard tools, except my Honda push mower. I still have that, but probably not for long. I'm trying to use it less and less.

I also bought my dad a battery hedge trimmer for christmas and it's pretty awesome! I'd stick with the same brand though, so you don't end up having a bunch of different batteries. Go with the "orange" brand ;)

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

didn't work with

Missed the edit window.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My neighbor is a boat mechanic at a local marine... this is how he spells Stabil or other fuel additives... $$$$$$$ insert grouping commas where appropriate hahaha They sell the eth free stuff at the marina for less than a dime over regular stations pump prices... same exact fuel by a local distributor.

Ethanol laced fuels are pretty hard on primer bulbs and diaphrams in small carbs. Also the local lawn guys who run their stuff frequently prefer the eth free stuff. Although technically it is "illegal" to fuel up a road going vehicle with "boat fuel" I know in my truck I can get 300 miles out of a tank of e-free... the mileage range drops down significantly when I use E10 87 (or whatever content it is)

19. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

I use C12 in my dirtbike and use the leftover for the blower and weed eater. Never had a problem