1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aim Solo 2 short battery time?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I lack imagination and would really appreciate a visual reference if you can get a chance to post a photo! I need to mount one to a ZX-6R top clamp. The key hole isn't flush with the clamp like it is on a lot of other bikes, and I am trying to figure out what will work best.

2. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Yeah, I need to get rid of the key, its taking up prime real estate. . . and those ounces will obviously make my fat ass faster. . . lol

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

On my ZX-6R, I just drilled and threaded a couple holes in the main triple clamp body, to the right side. A small piece of aluminum sheet metal (from Home Depot) was used to bolt the AIM bracket to the triple clamp. That enabled me to keep a good view of the dash and the timer at the same time, and it didn't interfere with my GPR damper either.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/kman0066/20150417_132520_zps3xjb86mp.jpg

Greenhound386 likes this.
  4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Thats some quality engineering, far beyond my pay grade. . .

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

its a piece of sheet metal (24ga doubled over IIRC), 6 total holes, 3 bolts with nylocks and washers, and a bunch of plastic spacers. 1 trip to Ace Hardware, tin snips, file, hammer, and a drill, bit, & countersink will get the job done. if uve never made a "custom" part, this is a good one to get your feet wet.

7. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Anyone use the fork stem Ram mount for the Solo? looks fairly straightforward, for those of us that are under-engineered. . .

8. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

My issue with them is it makes it impossible to use a headlift stand, which I always use for changing wheels.

9. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

hmm, didn't realize the pin penetrated that far up, I use a fork pin lift too, I'll have to check that, thanx.

10. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

nevermind, ignore me... I was thinking of the Moto-D stem mount which has a bolt that goes all the way through to a washer and nut on the bottom of the steering stem. The Ram Mount one looks like a much smarter design.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i use the bracket from aim that allows me to move from 1 bike to the other. the little screws were lost long ago but the magnet is pretty strong. Not sure how this would interfere with any front stands.. i use a pitbull front stand.

[​IMG]

12. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Thanks, didn't realize at first that the base mounting plate came with it, thought people were fabbing that as well. the lil Ninja 400 has an almost-flat upper triple once the ignition is gone, hopefully it will be easy to mount with velcro and zip ties. My Solo 2 is being delivered the day before I leave for the race weekend, so was trying to front-load my issues, but can't do much til it gets here anyway. I appreciate the responses.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

14. Tristan

[​IMG]

JBall likes this.
  15. Tristan

Had to cut off the upper left headlight bracket to fit the clamp.

16. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Looks great, I like the "permanent" looking gopro mount as well, I hate mounting sh*t on the bike, transponder, gopros, timer, etc, just more distractions, but would like to get it all set and forget. . .

17. Tristan

The Gopro mount came with the bike and I've never used it... don't think I would have drilled a hole in the triple for it.

18. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

I wired my Solo2 DL into the instrument power so it charges while the bike is on. The pin out for all of them are available online and harness here https://www.binder-usa.com/products/subminiature-circular-connectors.html The pins in the instrument cluster plug look like they are made for adding wires so it was easy.

I made a mount for my R6, worked well, used rivnuts on the fairing stay. The same thing could be done with sheet metal easily I'm sure.
    20190426_202915.jpg resize timer 2.jpg

19. DirtTrackin221

DirtTrackin221 Well-Known Member

Damn my solo2 lasts at least a day if not 2 days. I think last weekend I did the full trackday friday and 1 race and practices saturday before charging it. I am using the motod fork tube mount but I guess nobody is making those anymore and I need one for my new zx6. Great mounting ideas in here, thanks.

20. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

That’s a nice set up