1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest Project

Discussion in 'General' started by A.R.K., Mar 21, 2019.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

That is impressive. I struggle just mounting bodywork!

2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Its amazing what you can pull off(literally lol) with packaging tape, cardboard, clay, wax, and PVA.
    I like that mid rib for strength.. what is that like 6 layers of 3k carbon?

A.R.K. likes this.
  3. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

1 layer of 3k and some crazy thick twill fiberglass/carbon fabric I have never found much use for lol (don't even remember why I have it). 6 layers of 3k carbon would definitely work good. The tank slider area is a slick layup, top 2 are the silver fiberglass then alternating layers of carbon and carbon/Kevlar to a thickness around .090"

pfhenry likes this.
  4. pfhenry

I miss laying shit up everyday... i don't miss the snowman itch tho
    rsz_wp_20150819_14_28_14_pro.jpg

SpeedyE and A.R.K. like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where did you photograph the yeti?

TLR67 and A.R.K. like this.
  6. pfhenry

Up in Buford, GA lol

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Very impressive!

A.R.K. likes this.
  8. pfhenry

do you get your fabrics from SollerComp?

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

How did you get started in this? And any tips or advice on how to get started?

jksoft likes this.
  10. pfhenry

motorsports vehicle technology at lanier tech... they had a deal at elan in braselton where we could go "play".. before that wrecked fairings and the desire to not look like a complete patch adams at the track. Its not as hard as you think... If you understand what a surface finish is and can use sandpaper properly... PVA is huge, rexco release wax two primary steps.

edit dont ever use composite envisions to buy fabric (still high on google for some reason)((F from BBB))

you don't really need a bunch of bagging materials, vacuum pump, etc. either... thats just icing on the cake

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

As always...great work Rick!

And congrats on a strong showing in the 200!!!

Guys, don't waste your breath asking Rick to make you a set of anything...I've been trying for a decade...

TurboBlew, extremely_slow and A.R.K. like this.
  12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I like the Michelin Man on the fender.

A.R.K. likes this.
  13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

First off, those fairings are beautiful. Nice work!
    I am curious about any advice you may have as well? I have done a fair amount of fiberglass work, but I don't even know where to begin fabricating the molds bodywork like this. I've done some boat building with a sandwich construction using wood and fiberglass where the wood serves as the mold but also becomes part of the final product so it eliminates a bunch of steps.

14. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Lots of trial and error. There is a ridicules amount of info on forums (I was on Composite central iirc but I think it's gone now), basically reading about it in general and the different processes. I started off making carbon fiber 1st Gen FZ1 parts a long time ago because I was to cheap to buy them. A friend that started racing said "make bodywork", so I bought a used race bike for a template... did a race since I had the bike...

TurboBlew, YamahaRick and noles19 like this.
  15. pfhenry

hardest part in bike fairings is the amount of mold sections... for example... the zx-10 upper fairing mold i made is 5 pieces. You have to make neat (slim line) 90 degree flanges(bolts together) off the part when making the mold so the part doesnt get trapped inside due to the clam shell effect of compound curvatures. most tail sections are like this too.

16. pfhenry

iomfan and SpeedyE like this.
  17. pfhenry

the reason for the cuts, tape, and slurry... doing shit without a mold is a pain in the ass. he got the fairing and i had to modify nearly every surface
    and he had to have his precious acrylic screen lol:Puke:
    rsz_wp_20170405_16_18_17_pro.jpg

18. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

same here. where did you get it?

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It was masked for the paint, the silver is the fabric for the fender.

A.R.K. likes this.
  20. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Cool stuff pfhenry. I've been working on the little stuff like matching the fabric weave from part to part for a long time, get it good every now and then. This one is fairly close. Ha the photobucket tag is covering most of it lol.

[​IMG]

pfhenry and extremely_slow like this.