1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand....WTF

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Motofun352, Mar 15, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fuck Dave K

Rebel635 likes this.
  2. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

speeddaddy likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He's dangerous to the people who want us to speak and believe nonsense.

speeddaddy likes this.
  5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

First they banned the guns and then went after free speech. Yeah, that is the place to live.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Independence limited
    Freedom of choice is made for you my friend
    Freedom of speech is words that they will bend
    Freedom with their exception

Coming here as well.

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

auminer and speeddaddy like this.
  8. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I am not sure. It is one of the oddest phenomenon I have ever seen. Only 17 years after the WTC attack (Never Forget was the motto) with many attacks since yet western society seems to almost want to cow tow to Islam. I believe that in America it is about the left wanting to import more voters but not sure about everywhere else.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do most Christians even wear a crucifix?

p.s. I've seen the French president (Christian) wear a yarmulke as a show of solidarity after anti-Semitic acts. It's not that big a deal.

11. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've seen several pieces on it since it happened. There hasn't been any mention of a religious motive so far. He reportedly said that three of his children died crossing the Mediterranean. I don't know about the timing; if he was there we've been, or if it happened after he had already migrated to Italy.

13. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

What I see here is the great American gun debate recurring against the background of one event in NZ.

I have lived for extended periods in both the US and NZ. They are quite different cultures, especially in this respect. I respect the rights of both to do as they see fit.

Most first world countries - Europe, Japan, etc - have very restrictive gun laws and few gun related deaths. If your only goal is to minimize gun deaths that is clearly and without doubt the way to go.

In the US however there are additional goals, such as preserving constitutional rights and freedoms. There is a powerful gun lobby, politicians and a gun industry with their positions... and parents who have lost children in school shootings. Its complicated, difficult, emotional and on both sides positions seem to be hardening as we go on and on with no reasonable end in sight.

NZ is between those two. As a fishing, hunting and outdoors culture it will continue to make appropriate firearms available for such puropses. But there is no "right to bear arms". Most people will see a ban on assault rifles as the government making a genuine attempt to reach a reasonable balance.

Two more points...

1) New Zealanders have never been allowed to carry firearms for self protection. The vast majority have ZERO wish to do so. Events such as the Christchurch shooting will never be affected by citizens returning fire.

2) Banning Assault Rifles WILL help at least some. Not many nutcases are crazy enough to want to do something like this - and at the same time still put together enough to make it happen. The harder you make it for them, the fewer will reach the action stage - and the less deadly the results will be when one of them does so.

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I read that he sent a video to friends and social media with the message "Africa, Rise." Don't know if true or what it was meant to convey. The Italian officials also have not declared him as a terrorist.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It definitely looks like an act of terrorism. There's just no signs so far that it's the religious kind.

TXFZ1 likes this.
  16. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Gun deaths have been on the decline in the US, what you believe is a myth of the media. Yes, there are horrible mass shooting but still there are more deaths by distracted driving in the US than by guns. US will never see the 35 per 5mil per year rate that NZ has achieved.

Second issue, NZ did not ban assault rifles, they banned all semi-autos with >22 cal/shotgun five round capacity. Banning these in the US would be an impossible task.

Third issue: The hero that picked up the empty weapon and chased the terrorist saved lives at the second mosque, this heroic act affected many citizens.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The first thing is for us to stop pretending Europe is a safe utopia. Violent crimes, rape, theft, beatings, muggings, roving youth gangs are rampant and terrorist acts are frequent and either under reported or ignored by the liberal agenda.

A brief search brings up a dozen stats from Vox to Politifact and Crimeresearch.org all refuting with your statement. Even NPR reported that the inflated stats on school shootings in the USA is a flat out lie.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Britt likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Crucifix is more of a Catholic thing. Protestant denominations might go for a cross. Rappers are subject to mix and match.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks for the clarification. You can substitute "cross" in my question.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I would suspect not. I’ve worn one for thirty years or so but I don’t think most do.