1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by JBowen33, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I wish I could uprgrade to 15” since there is so many more options. Unfortunately there isn’t much wiggle room in my wheel wheels.

2. JBowen33

Well there were a few that suggested the maxxis but the thread turned into how the Walmart trailer king tires are the best bang for your buck etc... I explained I didn’t want bang for my buck I wanted what worked the best. Then I also explained that I usually travel 6 plus hours with a decent amount of weight inside and again I got the “just make sure you have a spare you’ll be fine “ ... idiots

deepsxepa likes this.
  3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

If you don't already have a TPMS for the trailer I do highly suggest you get one of those. James Bock sells the Dill system that uses internal TPMS sensors with metal valve stems so you don't have a sensor hanging on the end of a valve stem to get torn off. Monitors pressure and temp. As you know, towing at night it's impossible to really see your trailer tires so it's a big mental confidence boost to know what's going on back there. This is the system he sells: http://www.trailertpms.com/home.html

rugbymook and panthercity like this.
  4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Another part of the equation when talking ST vs. LT tires is that for the same size tire, the LTs will always have a lower load capacity than a ST tire. So if you do go with LT tires (I wouldn't), you need to buy whichever bigger size that will give you the same or higher load capacity as the ST tires did. That info can be found on the sidewall of the tire and is based on a new condition tire and being inflated to the pressure stated with it........2850 lbs@xx psi. Just remember though, the LT tires will not have the sidewall strength of the ST tires which is important in a trailer application because of the side loading of the tire during turning....especially on double and triple axle trailers

panthercity likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know in theory the sidewall matters on trailers but the reality is the high end Goodyear ST tires would blow out a double or more the rate of the LT's on our triple axle gooseneck that got jacknifed into spots at tracks and every single trip when parking at the house putting a lot of side stress on the front and rear axle bearings and tires.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Goodyear Marathons are the last ones I bought. They’ve been good so far. Bought them at Walmart btw.

7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Bail....

DaveB likes this.
  8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep, there about as many of those (percentage wise) on RV forums as on motorcycle racing forums.

TurboBlew, JBowen33 and DaveB like this.
  9. JBowen33

That’s exactly why I need new tires. My tires are just worn not even dry rotted. I have to jack knife and make a lot of sharp turns to get to the interstate and to park it in my driveway not to mention situations like parking lots and gas stations. The rear axle tires are just worn badly.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

No.

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Sean, the trailer tire market has had a LOT of junk tires for almost as long as I can remember, and unfortunately, the Goodyear brand has been in that category too. The Maxxis 8008 has been a very good quality tire, even with the fact that is made in Thailand. The new Goodyear Endurance (made in the U.S.A.) has been getting lots of good reviews, although it still has a pretty short history....been available a little over 1 1/2 years. The Sailun tires are supposed to be a good tire also but I have no personal experience with them. Quite a few guys on the RV forums are using them and some of those guys are towing really heavy 5vers. Carlisle has a Trail H.D. that generally gets good reviews and seems to be the tire of choice for some RV users; combination of reasonable pricing and decent quality. There are lots of reported issues of blowouts with ST rated tires and the biggest culprit many, many times is improper tire pressure. Part of that "blowout" problem can be traced back to trailer manufacturers using the cheapest tires they can buy...AND... putting tires on that just barely satisfy the load requirements for the trailer they are going on. Then you combine that scenario with owners not properly maintaining the tire pressure and the results is guys cursing ST trailer tires. Another issue that causes problems is trailer loading. You may not have the load in the trailer evenly distributed, causing one or two of the tires to be overloaded, while the other two are way "under-loaded".....and the trailer isn't overloaded. One of the best things I've bought for my Toy Hauler, besides the Maxxis tires, is a good quality TPMS System for monitoring not only the tire pressure, but the tire temperatures also. Knowledge and early warnings of issues go a long way towards preventing blowouts, which sometimes cause thousands and thousands of dollars of damage on an RV

panthercity and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

^^^I agree^^^. If I ever buy a new TH'er one of the requirements will be upgraded tires. The stockers were just terrible. Akushnet or something like that. I burned the MF'ers!

13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I agree, either get the tires you want when you buy it, or do like I did and change them out after you get it home. Probably, most RV dealers aren't going to have access to the Maxxis tires that I wanted, so I didn't even bother. I just waited till I got it home, called around for the best pricing I could get (price matching, etc) and made arrangements to get to the tires in to Discount Tire in our town and get them installed. Selling the Trailer King take offs that had only 400 miles or so on them was easy peasy on Craigslist and certainly help defray the cost of the new Maxxis 8008 tires. I couldn't be happier with them and I don't worry when taking the T.H. out because I know I've got some high quality tires and I've got a good TPMS system on the trailer to monitor what's happening behind me. It sure makes travelling a lot more relaxing.

14. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Time to get some tires for the trailer (ST205/75R15.) Based on what I read in this thread, I looked into the Maxxis M8008. Discount Tire lists 2 different M8008 tires, one with a C1 load rating and the other with a D1 rating. The only difference in Discount's specs is a 3 pounds in weight, 15 PSI in max pressure, and $16.00/tire.

The heavier tire (with the higher pressure) is the cheaper tire.

Anyone have experience with both of these tires?

15. JBowen33

I went with the Carlisle. Got good reviews and on amazon it’s 67 bucks a tire. Date code when I got them was a few weeks out from purchase which was awesome.

No idea how they are yet tho.

16. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

BSA43, can't go wrong with upgrading the tires. D rating is 8 ply. C is 6 ply. If the D's are cheaper I would say by all means go with those. I have not tried Maxxis but every thread I have read on here and on the RV forums people seem to speak most highly of Maxxis. The new Good Year Endurance tires are supposed to be very good as well and have a higher speed rating but I'm sure they are more expensive

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I'd prefer to get the tire management system from within the community, so what's the cost on the internal system James sells?

18. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Go with the D rated ones, especially if they're cheaper.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve put over 40K miles on Maxxis 8008 10-ply and have had zero issues. I did move up from the original 205 width to a 225 width, so I could run the heavier load rating. I ended up having to install wheel spacers to gain enough clearance, though. It’s worth it to me to not have to worry about blowouts.

When you guys upgrade your load range, be sure and have the correct, higher psi valve stems installed, too. For instance, a 10-ply, E load range tire is 80psi max. They require an all metal, bolt-in stem, so they don’t blow out at the higher psi. Also, have your tires balanced, so you’re not beating your suspension, trailer, and cargo, as well as ensuring your tires will evenly wear. Many shops say you don’t need to balance trailers tires. Bullshit.

xrated likes this.