1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame sliders, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nathan Seethaler, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Nathan Seethaler

Nathan Seethaler Active Member

Ive heard that frame sliders can 'pole vault' your bike in a higher speed crash. They also save a lot of damage on low speed crashes as well. Whats everyone's opinion on running frame sliders? Are they worth using, or are they potentially bad in crashes?

2. Depends

SLLaffoon likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

depends on the university?

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Do they let you buy a report card to show your friends?

5. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Go with under the fairing style. They protect more and won’t snag a curb, etc and flip the bike.

Ride safe,
    AAron

cpettit, SpeedyE and SLLaffoon like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you want to run them, they are the besterest.
    If you don't, they destroy Japanese cities and fight Mothra.

and what's the deal with Mothra? A giant moth kaiju? That's stupider than 12 o'clock bars and ewoks.

DrA5 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've had 2 crashes in the past 15 years or so, one on my 1000 on the street at low speed, back end stepped out on me pulling away from an intersection when I gave it a bit too much stick on cold tires. The other coming into T1 @ NJMP on my 600 when the front seemingly washed out under me under braking.

In both cases the bikes had frame sliders (the kind that do jut out past the bodywork)....in both cases the sliders saved the bike significantly. I know every crash is different but in my case they proved to be VERY helpful.

Racer773 likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Most bikes in the FIM World Endurance paddock have them. It's more important for them to keep the bike going after a tip off.

Anything can cause the bike the flip, sliders or not. Happens all the time without them as with them. But sliders absolutely can save controls from being destroyed.

I bet Tommy Hill wishes his R1 had them when it tipped over on the grid and snapped the rearset mount. Cost him the championship.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There are a couple situations I wouldn't want 'em...
    - Don't send the bike over a curb when it's on its side.
    - They can act as a lever in the dirt, tilting the bike which, I guess, drives other various bits of bike into the ground. Eventually, something digs in.
    Damage potential is a speed-induced exponential.
    Also, I don't see a need for what, imo, amounts to something that can cause more damage than would otherwise be suffered anyway. Not saying they don't serve a purpose, but I'd rather not mount a four inch lever that has the potential to launch a 400# machine into orbit.

High-sided exiting Barber's backstraight dogleg in the wet, 110-ish(?), no sliders, bike stayed on the track. Looked like someone took a belt sander and ate through three body pieces and almost through the tank, minimal damage to a clip-on, clutch lever and leftside peg. The rearset mount tabs took a slight bend, 5-10º, Duc 996.
    Still ridable, the hit to my ass kept me off it the rest of that weekend...like getting spanked by a 2x4 that instantaneously accelerates ya 20' in front of your bike. :D

Low-sided entering BeaverRun T1, GSX-R, sliders, bike slid over the outside curb. Curb initiated ballerina mode...complete wipe-out of all controls, body pieces, tank, wheels, subframe. I rate it a solid 9. :D Unbelievably, I don't recall the pipe getting whacked.
    As the bike was going down I was like "What?! I'm crashing!?" I considered holding on to it cuz it just sorta laid down. (I mighta been able to prevent what, at the time, I didn't know was about to happen.) But, I saw the curb and thought, eh, maybe I don't hold on to this...

It's hard to say what would have happened if the bikes switched roles or had, or didn't have, sliders.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sliders or not, a sliding bike that hits a curb or berm is very likely to tumble.

busa99 and stk0308 like this.
  12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Handlebars and tires can cause a bike to flip if they snag something...so be careful if you ride with them. :D

Hopefully enough speed is scrubbed off before the bike is near anything that will help it tumble.

Just keep it on 2 wheels and you don't have to worry about it. :beer:

13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Sliders have saved my tank from bigger damage multiple times. They may also have contributed to some frame tweaks from some low sides that slid over a curb. I run them just long enough to protect cases, frame and tank in my opinion.

BigBird likes this.
  14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I always preferred running Woodcraft case savers over frame sliders. Low profile and effective at saving the real important bits that could lead to costly repairs and breakable stuff like clip on tubes, levers and rearset pegs were kept in abundance in case they were needed. I will also say that foldable levers are worth more than their weight in bent/broken aluminum.

The one crash I had with sliders bent the bolt to hell which was a bitch to remove. YMMV

BigBird likes this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The new low profile savers from Woodcraft look like a good compromise...kinda cone shaped with the peak cut off.

Newyork, busa99 and SpeedyE like this.
  16. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I run tank and fork sliders, both of which have proved their worth. Neither of those have the potential to make the crash worse.

17. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Case guards

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The concern I've had on some bikes is that the sliders can transfer a great deal of force to the frame-to-engine mounts, breaking both of them.

19. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

I see many (to many) of your crashes. Sliders and crash bars help a bunch. I also would listen to AAron on his advise. Don't crash and know your gird positions and all will be well!

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

another suggestion... not putting 400 ft lbs of torque on your controls fasteners like clip ons or lever guards.
    Also softer fairing stays that can be "bent back" or replaced easy.
    Not really a fan of sliders that use engine bolt areas to fasten.

Who is going to be the first to patent "airbag technology" for bikes from a crash? :D Imagine the paint, body, & stickers it could save! :D

badmoon692008 and K51000 like this.