1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BRITT......

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Mar 19, 2019.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

You are Alien welder, and metallurgist......I have been laying in bed or sitting on computer bored/stir-crazy for a year. All I do is go through old memories.
    I always complained about my bad luck w/ bikes. It was like I was cursed.
    Can you technically explain to me what was going on w/ this frame?

01/600, bought new, never crashed.
    Got into a slide, hit a wall w/ my rear wheel. Bike went into worst oscillation (not tank-slap) I ever seen/felt....tires screaming, for a few seconds before i regained control. Finally blew stock motor the next afternoon.
    When we pulled motor, frame was cracked up.

Had it professionally Tig welded, by end of weekend had re cracked apart plus more and/or longer cracks.
    "..........................................................x2 + more welding rod....................................................."
    I welded it the third time, and tried adding tons of weld. Same results. Threw frame away.
    Bike would re-crack at welds or crack around beefed up welds.

I suspected a flaw in mfg....heat/anodize/etc?
    What was going on? Mfg flaw? repair-welding errors? rider error? etc?
    Both left and right sides were cracking symmetrically. Steering head was breaking off from the bottom, upward. Twin-spars were cracking at top, downward.

I am just bored and curious.
    Thank you for any answers.

Pics are after 3rd welding, and during dismantling of bike. You can see areas where the non-oem welds held, and new cracks developed in neighboring areas. If you look close you can see gobs and gobs of non-oem welds that held, but broke nearby. Frame would not stop cracking apart no matter how much welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

This is one reason I never bothered to get my 05 gsxr1000 frame welded on the recall. I just dont think the local welding shop that the Suzuki dealership would use would come close to doing it justice etc.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. SpeedyE

I got the recall on my 06, and never did the recall either. Never had an issue w/ my 06 frame, even after 3 crashes.

4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Maybe all that welding undid some of the heat treatment causing it to crack?

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Correction there never was any re-welding or any welding to the recall repair procedure. I personally did two of them. It was nothing more than a brace plate attached through the main frame spars using existing tapped and threaded holes. There was an epoxy you mixed to apply to the added plate which essentially bonded with bottom of steering stem neck and base of the main frame beams. The plate installation was simply removing all the body work which was 90% of the work.

Neither one I did had the cracks. There was an included powder to magnify a crack along with video on what to look for concerning cracks. One of the bikes was my 2006 and the other was a girls 2005 model. Both ran for many more years later before being totaled by owners after we owned them.

SpeedyE and G 97 like this.
  6. SpeedyE

Yes, that was one of my thoughts too :)

The first cracks I saw where at the twin spars......when the motor came out later that day, I saw the rest of it, and it leveled me. I was always poor, from start to finish, and when I seen it, I literally collapsed. I begged suzooki for new frame and they told me to pound sand, lol.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well shoot, no idea why I thought actual welding was involved. Not going to worry about it now though. LOL.

roy826ex and SpeedyE like this.
  8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I'm curious if Britt is waiting for the entire peanut gallery to answer and then chuckling. :D

Much like JU waiting for the same peanut gallery to answer exactly what's wrong with pro racing and how to properly staff and run a pro race team.:crackup:

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Britt is probably doing that weird thing called work. His job kind of keeps him from being able to sit on the computer all day and since it's after coffee time and before lunch time I'd bet he's melting metal.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. SpeedyE

:clap::crackup::crackup::crackup::clap:

I cant imagine a front/rear oscillation can crack a frame, I dont understand the original cracks.
    The re welding causing heat-issues makes sense though.
    I was broke and desperate, and thought pro-welds would hold.

When the dust settled, I had cried more tears than welding rods used :(:D

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

My kids are grinding out a reading assignment before we leave for break. I am functioning in a "facilitator" capacity this period...

:D

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No cell phones in the classroom! :crackup:

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

They have to stow them when they come in to class:D
    image.jpeg
    NOTE : I'm on my iPad cataloging class/planning evidence. :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nice! I'm still lost why they're even on school grounds but guess the snowflake makers need to be able to see their babies locations at all times.

RRP likes this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I 100% agree - they whine at the beginning of school but by now it's habit.

In fact, at this point in the school year - they have a mini stroke if they forget to stow them and nearly beg for forgiveness when it happens.:crackup:

G 97 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep saying they are trainable like dogs :D

SpeedyE, G 97 and RRP like this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

From asking about welds on a bike frame to cellphone procedures of snowflakes in elementary class, in under two pages.

Only on the Wera bbs. :D

stk0308, badmoon692008 and SpeedyE like this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

It's a secondary classroom, thank you very much!

:D

SpeedyE and G 97 like this.
  19. SpeedyE

:crackup::crackup::clap::crackup::crackup:

I was literally about to comment on the brilliance/ingenuity of the shoe-rack used for cell phones to Mark, right before i saw this post, lol

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The frame is designed to apply stress in a very specific way. When you change that without knowing where the forces are applied you get this.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

SpeedyE likes this.