1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Feb 6, 2019.

1. I wouldn’t exactly call you fat :) but every lb helps.

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

This makes sense. Especially if you allow fixed for safety. This is the exact thing I was wondering.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm not saying its easy, but it was like they were watching a completely different race than we were. I could never do announcing. It would either be non stop beeps, or F'bombs. :D

sbk1198 and badmoon692008 like this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

"non stop" ? common.. was it perfect ? nope. but give me a break. I just re-watched the broadcast. MOST of the time, the announcing was on target. And yea, it has to be an incredibly tough job doing this from the speedway. 3.5 MILE track, lapped riders nearly non stop mixed in the 60 rider field, only way to see riders is on a monitor for the most part.. you guys crack me up..

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The thing is we've heard others do the job too... You don't have to do it yourself to be able to compare different announcers.

Were they doing the paddock/stands stuff too or just the Fanschoice?

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

I believe that Fanschoice.tv was just broadcasting the track announcing that Pat and Richard were doing.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah then that will absolutely screw up the timing. I never turned on the sound and was able to keep up just fine anyway for the last sprint race :D

8. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

The whole time Kelly was sitting in the pit box and they were saying he was out on track was priceless.

Once a Wanker.. and drop like this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I guess that's a good point. If they stopped the race with that last red flag then it would have been the Daytona 191'ish?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That I get, even if they're seeing video it's tough when he and Bobby look almost exactly the same.

11. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Different helmets, totally different leathers (during the race), etc.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not enough to tell a difference quickly on a small monitor in the middle of everything else. That's one area I'll agree with Greg for sure, it's not remotely like sitting at home. Also if their main deal is announcing live they're looking through binoculars live and may not have even had the fanschoice feed in the booth. With just doing streaming it's probably not worth running all the wiring a full on televised race would have.

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

So we'r they not aloud to have live timing? Many times across the strip even they were wrong.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In person or on the streaming?

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad Kawa Wyman won!

While I am appreciative of their efforts the same thing happened last year if I am not mistaken. It was more than just mixing riders up and names being wrong.. I apologize to all that know these 2 if I sounded offensive. However I think a much better job could be done in the future.

16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

The live timing on the streaming was off and it did seem like the audio and video were not in sync, but I was just happy to have the feed at all and be able to watch the race for free. It wasn't that hard to figure out what was going on so it didn't really take away any enjoyment for me.

drop likes this.
  17. That’s also why a lot of announcers have a separate screen going with timing and scoring.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Myself & another practiced... got it perfected with just a pin lift stand. We got it to <13 seconds. Fueling to <5 seconds and a rear swap in <12 seconds. Kind of sucked we didnt get to do it under race conditions. :(
    I was getting my balls broken about last year saying they watched video "Oh you were hovering a good 5 seconds before you dumped the can"... then I thought... um we didnt really do a pit stop under green.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if you know the riders intimately, yea.. you MIGHT know the differences even up close.
    But you do know the fans choice stream is over 20 seconds behind the LIVE on track action? and these announcers are looking at a little screen, of the camera that the vid booth sends them, or that they can see at a considerable distance (the track is fucking HUGE you know), talking non stop for over an hour and a half at that point, trying to read lap times, positions of riders, keep the chatter going and not have dead air space... yea.. you could do SOO much better

20. We used a pin lift stand as well but I modified the pin and marked the stand at the best position I could find to get it to go under easiest. Worked good enough to keep up with the rear. We were around 12-13s

TurboBlew likes this.