1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GX 460 or RX 450H or ???

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Mar 18, 2019.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

This needed saving to prove that this here new fangled beeb has gone Sof-ta! :(

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The GX is called the Toyota Prado in most of the world and is an awesome vehicle. Check out the forums on ih8mud.com and see all the overlanding vehicles people build out of them. I was gonna get one of those or the Land Cruiser and my brother bought a GX so I had no choice but to one up him.

3. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Pics of au pair required before real advice can be properly given.

notbostrom, SuddenBraking and cpettit like this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:

5. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Cayenne base model. So good.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How’s that deal with a lot of weight on the tongue? Does it have air leveling suspension? I was looking at one last night but wasn’t sure about either of those two questions.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Sadly no makes a true midsize SUV anymore

8. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I have steel springs on a 2019. Have tried a Mototote with KDX trail bike. Worked fine.

Last year used the carrier with track bike on a RAM 2500 power wagon. Did add a few PSI in airbags that were aftermarket. Was fine without but very smooth with air.

Hoping the Cayenne will be ok with the additional tongue weight of heavier bike.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm just glad you haven't mentioned tahoe or suburbans. :bow:

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Is the Cayenne a unibody frame? Wondering if the Q7 is a happy compromise of something that's not a total pig on fuel and can still handle 500 pounds on the rear.

I actually went to buy a Tahoe and someone else was there already buying it. In hindsight, really glad that happened because I have zero interest in those things.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

My buddy had the new Q7, but was very small, and got an Atlas instead, and likes that much more. He should of really gotten a minivan, but yeah, can't win them all.

12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

What's your definition of 'true midsize SUV'?
    Wouldn't that be the GX , the Yukon/Tahoe (not XL/Suburban), Q7, Durango, Pilot, Expedition, Sequoia, MB GLE, Cayenne, X5, Range Rover Sport?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that one confused me too. Personally I think a small SUV is the size of an old S10 Blazer or the Bronco II, full size is a Suburban. Anything in between is mid sized which covers the overwhelming majority of them out there these days.

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yukon/Tahoe and Sequoia sure seem "full size" to me.

pscook and SuddenBraking like this.
  15. worthless

I was thinking the Yukon/Tahoe XL/Suburban and Land Cruiser would be more full size. That's why I wasn't sure what he meant by midsize.

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I would consider those full size.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I think the definition is muddied because most "SUV"'s are just tall cars or stubby wagons... Used to be "full size" was built on a full size truck chassis and "mid size" was built on a smaller truck chassis. Toyota still does this- the T4R is on the Tacoma platform and the Sequoia (and LC I think) are on the Tundra. I wouldn't call any Honda a "full size" SUV, I'd call it "Honda's biggest one"

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I could work with that, the Sequioa/Tahoe/whatever that are on 1/4 ton or above truck chassis are full size, the ones on the next chassis down are mid and all those tall little station wagons like the Subarus and similar are minis.

19. worthless

Gotcha...so we're looking for body on frame rather than unibody. In that case, you're right...the 4 runner is about the closest you'll get to a midsize if you don't factor in the G-Wagon or Wrangler.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wranglers aren't SUV's - well, up until the JK maybe. Even my GA titles had them listed as Utility Vehicles :D