1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GX 460 or RX 450H or ???

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Mar 18, 2019.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Looking to get a new vehicle (we're getting an au pair so she'll drive my current DD which is a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee). All over the map with what to get - I've gone from a Suburban to an A7 and everything in between. Here's my need/situation:

1) Don't drive very much - 7 mile commute to work each way, and when it's nice out generally take one of my streetbikes. My golf club is 25 miles away so do that drive a few times a month when it's nice out. 500 miles a month average is probably on the high side but is a reasonable estimate.
    2) Have three children 6 and under, so space is moderately important (but wife has an Odyssey as our main road trip/people hauler).
    3) Want something that can tow somewhat - I go the kart track fairly regularly with my TTR 125 and/or my wr250 sumo setup. Want something that can handle either of those two in my mototote without having to pull a trailer. I do have the Jeep as a backup which can handle 650 pounds of tongue weight.
    4) Bonus points would go for something that can handle my track bike in my mototote (it's got a 600 pound capacity so not worried about the mototote being the weak link).

Off the shelf, the 460 fills all of those needs, but knowing that it gets 15 MPG and takes premium will drive me nuts when I'm spending the majority of the time in it by myself. The RX would be significantly better for me from a driving and fuel economy perspective, but there's the issue of weight hanging off the back. Is it as simple as getting an RX with bags? Or would you not trust 500 pounds of tongue weight on an RX even with bags?

Anyone know what SUVs come with leveling air suspension as an option and would be able to handle all of the above?

I'm all over the place - thanks in advance for anyone who's got some insight.

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The Odyssey can haul your stuff easily and in comfort. Why do you need another towing vehicle ?
    I just bought a Ridgeline as my do everything vehicle.
    I do like the Lexus RX350 though. I'm not sure if the 450H has a cvt or not, which could give you problems with towing.

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

My thinking on the RX is it's a unibody, so probably simply won't handle that kind of weight on on hitch at all. Which leads you back to a body on frame type of SUV like the 460. None of which are going to get really good MPG's. However, your mileage is so low I don't think it matters.

Honestly, I would keep the Jeep you already have for that type of stuff, then just buy whatever you want. With having the mini-van in the garage, your utility needs are covered with other vehicles and you can just pick something you think is fun or interesting.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Toyota Hybrid, so not a belt based CVT but a planetary gear system. I've got a first gen Highlander Hybrid, AWD so I have the additional electric motor for the rear axle which nets an additional 63hp on demand. Tows great, but I wouldn't put 500lbs of tongue weight on it for very long.

5. SuddenBraking

I'd prefer to have my wife drive the minivan 100% of the time and me drive my vehicle 100% of the time; when she takes a vehicle with the three kids it turns into a trashcan in about three seconds. With my job, I need to go to a decent amount of off-site meetings and have professionals in my car - I can't have crumbs and everything else all over the place.

Yeah, I considered as much (as evidenced by me looking at sedans like the A7). That being said, the 2006 Jeep isn't going to last forever (the rust will get it here before the engine dies), and I'd like an AWD/4WD vehicle for when that goes belly up. Also somewhat expensive to keep an extra car, particularly when the majority of my miles are on two wheels.

I think I'm basically at the point of not caring about gas mileage and just getting the GX as out of the box it satisfies all my towing needs - and there's one about 45 minutes away that I've got my eye on.

upload_2019-3-18_11-15-47.png

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I think rust repairs and maintenance on the Jeep will be significantly outpaced by the expense of buying and insuring a Lexus...

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I had an 08 4runner Limited, the GX is the same with more insulation and crap. Hauled a few bikes on a Mototote (the biggest one), and all were fine except the Tiger 1050, despite being well under the capacity of the Mototote it was very dodgy... far too much sway. I doubt an RX would be good with a hitch hauler. Pretty sure the GX has optional air suspension. They're not all that roomy inside for as big as they are and the 3rd row seats are a joke. Sequoias ride WAY better and only get slightly worse mileage, I'd go that way unless the size is a problem.

8. Tristan

"rust repair" and "au pair" don't go together.

notbostrom likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

We need a third car regardless while we have live-in help for the next few years, so the buying and insuring of an additional vehicle is a foregone conclusion. It's just what vehicle to buy.

I don't really need anything bigger than a GX, and frankly the Lexus has some creature comforts that my soon to be 40 year old self wouldn't mind treating myself so.

Just to clarify - it's got the air suspension, so will/does that automatically level out the rear to prevent sag? That's my understanding but I'm an idiot so would love confirmation from someone who knows.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

In for pics of the marriage wrecker....I mean au pair.

Dragginass and vfrket like this.
  11. Tristan

Pretty sure it has the option to auto-level or manually raise/lower. Hopefully the newer GX's ride better than the older ones- the truck-like ride is why I got rid of my T4R.

12. Wife wanted a GX forever, test rode one and hated it. We ended up with a Q7 and it will handle a dirt bike off the hitch. The RX is small but if you are ok with that I think you’d be able to get away with it by maybe adding a couple extra straps coming off the roof rack to the bike to absorb the loads over bumps. No idea about adding bags to one but I’d imagine there is a kit that you could make work.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First vote is a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like my Ho which would fit your criteria. Doesn't seem like you'd need a Suburban or the like.

14. SuddenBraking

I went to look at Tahoes the other day and just couldn't do it. Just feels and looks like an Uber to me.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

HA! Totally get that. I kind of want to put the cop version wheels on my to get away from that :D

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’d go with the GX myself. The RX is a car platform where the GX is more of a truck platform. Gas mileage isnt as good but it is a much better all around vehicle IMO.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

18. Tristan

miss this part? "in my mototote without having to pull a trailer" A minivan is gonna drag its ass with a full size bike on a hitch carrier, as is most anything without a truck chassis.

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

get a pickup truck then. a truck to do a truck's job.

20. SuddenBraking

I'm too pretty for a truck. Plus, the GX already has active air suspension (so it should handle that better than most trucks, I believe).