1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aim Solo 2 short battery time?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Mar 7, 2019.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I heard the new Solo 2 is smoking thru battery life where the original Solo would last an entire day. I also heard there was a firmware update that resolved the issue. Anyone have any experience?

2. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

The one I've been borrowing lasts about 75-80 minutes. I bring the charger with me but am planning to wire it to the bike (as soon as I get off my ass and connect the harness I bought to a 12v aux port on my bike).

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

My solo 2 gps basically lasted two track sessions and I would have to leave it on. Turning it off uses about 30 percent battery searching for location each time which was more then turning it off no matter the update/firmware.

Over the winter I had Mike at Metric Devil Moto wire mine up with my transporter so it charges when the bikes running and not when it’s off. Looked forward to having one less thing to mess with between sessions/races.

4. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

Mine eats batteries. I sacrificed the car charger cord and made a hardwire connection as well.

5. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

My original Solo would last about 3:52 mins. Last few laps of a 4-hour were in the dark! :D

rcarson15 likes this.
  6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Thanks for the input. You would think AIM would have a hard wire option knowing the unit sucks power like a hungry hooker. Sacrificing the car charger sounds like the thing to do.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The battery sucks, the whole thing is kinda meh. I'm hoping they keep updating it and fix some things.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

This kinda makes me wish I hadn't sold my solo DL (before ever using it) to get a Solo2... sounds like I'd want to hard wire it anyway for endurance races.

9. JBowen33

They do you can buy the cord with the ends to be wired in. I just sacrificed the car charger and keep the wall charger in the trailer

10. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm if its just the wifffy (wifi) that drains the battery? Want one of these, but if it can't hold a charge for a day, not interested. . . .

11. JBowen33

The WiFi isn’t the issue that drains the battery it’s the GPS signal that does. It will not last a full track day. Two-three sessions at most.

JBinSD likes this.
  12. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Hmm, well that kinda sux, definitely need the GPS signal. Other than accurate lap times, is the predictive component good? Any other goods/bads compared to the Qstar or other timers? I don't think I'd use very much data logging, but these things are almost as pricey as a new laptop, ready to be thrown down at 100 mph+. . .

13. JBowen33

Data doesn’t lie. How are you supposed to get faster without knowing if your actually going faster.

Just leave the thing on and charge it in between sessions you’ll be fine if you really didn’t want to hard wire it.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

doubtful. most 10Hz GPS chips use ~20mA. plus the Solo1 didnt drain batteries. I can get 2 days out of mine. even adding Glonass to the chip shouldn't increase the draw significantly.

its prob not the WiFi chip either as it should have a sleep mode that draws single digit mA when not connected and less when off.

I bet that new colored backlight draws the most power of any single feature.

jd41, MachineR1 and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

That seems low to me. I can use it for a full trackday (20 minute sessions) and probably have 30-40% left at the end of the day. Wifi/backlight off, solo2 mounted on top of the triple clamp with a good view of the sky.

MachineR1, AssClown and JBinSD like this.
  16. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Thanks wreckless, that's encouraging.

17. AssClown

AssClown Well-Known Member

I just bought the Solo2 non-DL model and used it this past weekend. I had similar results. Lasted all day with wifi and backlight off. The unit also had the lastest firmware.

18. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

How are you guys mounting these? I have a ninja 400, so not a lot of spare space, and AiM doesn't make a model-specific mount. I still have a keyed ignition, and there is space inside the fairing, but with predictive laptimes and those pretty lights, I presume I'll want a good view of the screen. Suggestions?

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Is there a threaded hole where the mirror was you can use for a RAM mount? Or space on the bar for a clamp mount? I'm sure RAM makes something that will work.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ditch the key and mount it there. you'll do it eventually anyway. might as well do it now.

im using a thick piece of sheet metal and 3 bolts to clamp the included bracket to the key-hole.