1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales tax blues

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Mar 12, 2019.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sounds like it would have been much simpler to charge sales tax based on where it's shipped from rather than where it's shipped to.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Google Express seems to charge a estimated tax rate when placing an order, and then refunds some of the tax when they ship and adjust the rate accordingly (food, clothes items, counties, etc are charged differently in different places)

Paige likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The potential problem on that is I'm in Long Beach and our tax is 10.25%. Brea is in Orange County and not very far down the road and their tax rate is 7.75%. I'm at a disadvantage servicing customers if I had to charge my tax rate and we both deliver goods to the same place or provide service at the customer facility.

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

The sales tax rules are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  5. Sportbike Track Gear

Sportbike Track Gear We sell some motorcycle stuff sometimes

Shoot Jimmy a PM if we don't have what you need on the site. If the parts are available from any of the distributors we can get you dialed in. - Van

6. Sportbike Track Gear

Sportbike Track Gear We sell some motorcycle stuff sometimes

Sales tax for online sales is a complicated subject that has absorbed a ton of my time over the past couple of months. From state to state the nexus criteria differs and then there is the Streamlined Sales Tax program that has 24 of the states participating currently. It won't be long before all internet sales are subject to sales tax. - Van

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Yeah, well except that tax burden is always on the buyer.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Even when it wasn't collected by the business you ordered from, you are still supposed to claim it and pay it when you file your income tax in most states.

Yes, I am aware that most people don't report this and are therefore guilty of tax evasion. Almost none of them will be caught unless they are guilty of some other financial crime or tax evasion.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

It shouldn't be all that hard to do based on your zip code.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Except the sales tax has to be paid by the buyer to their local taxman. Granted it goes through the seller but the money still goes local for goods bought by local people.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

so then if say STG does business in 40 states, and collects taxes for 40 states, they have to then submit sales tax to those 40 states? I know in NYS you had to submit collected taxes quarterly. This would be a small business nightmare

12. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Yup, already seeing it with some stuff I purchase online. Used to be a member with Sportsmans Guide because they regularly offer free shipping on orders over $49 or $79. Pretty much always purchased ammo from 'em for that free shipping and no tax. Towards end of last year, they quit doing the free shipping on ammo. Didn't think much of it until I loaded up my cart with some stuff and noticed they were now charging me tax. Empty cart, made note to not renew membership this year, go to Walmart and purchase same ammo for a couple $ more. Also noticed I get charged tax on most of the things I get from Amazon now.

13. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Yep. My company is in Georgia and I file returns in all states that collect sales tax because we meet the criteria in all those states that requires us to be registered with them.

So we have to normally pay the tax before we get paid for the tax since our payment terms for the sale of software is 30-60 days and most states require us to file monthly.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I recently learned that many states also allow vendors to tax shipping. Most vendors I ordered from don't do this but, at least one I ordered from is doing that now.

I also recently heard of some buyers getting notified they may be on the hook for the tax of previous orders within any statue of limitations, and the vendors may be obligated to report those sales to the state.

It sure would blow to get hammered on "x" years of back sales taxes on on-line purchases...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They tax the shipping costs?

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

They sure do. And per my State's tax code (ND) they can.

17. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Depends on the state.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well that's some bullshit.

Paige likes this.
  19. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Want to hear something even better? All of our software is accessed remotely. Yep - still taxed in most states.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So the customer doesn't get a local copy of it? I'd be reading the tax laws really closely on that one - although I bet they did close that due to cloud based stuff like Office and Qucikbooks and such, gotta get their cut.