1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectator info for April COTA

Discussion in 'General' started by jrmcd2, Mar 10, 2019.

1. jrmcd2

jrmcd2 Member

Planning a last minute trip to the race in Austin for my birthday. looking for info about best viewing locations at the track, and any other insider info from someone who's been there. Any hookups for upgraded tickets, events, etc. (never hurts to ask)

Will be flying in and renting a car. Any sketchy areas near the track to stay away from?

Newyork likes this.
  2. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

No sketchy areas.

T1 is great viewing area, with Jumbotron and eating/restrooms very close by. Though it is furthest from vendor and infield area.

Infield complex has many many great viewing areas close together, plus food and vendor access just short walks. 1st few years we got grandstand tickets, but last few have been GA and haven’t really regretted it.

It’s a 20 minute drive from Austin to rack, and there’s nothing in between. Spend evenings downtown or just west of town, S Congress etc.

3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

We go for the turn 15 area as high as we can get ( can see turns 12-17), there is a jumbo tron across the track to see the rest of the action.

83BSA likes this.
  4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I like the hill on Turn 2. When we went in 2017, there was a jumbotron in front of us and you could also see them winding through the esses (if your eyes are good). Our area was close to the cross over bridge as well.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I prefer the grandstands at turn 9. Very fast/flowing section of track and and nice jumbotron right in front of you.

6. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Was there a bad place at COTA? Went last year and moved around a lot on Friday and Sat, but went to turn 15 GS for the races. Enjoyed the concessions and all the booths.

7. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Has anyone here volunteered as a flagger or marshal at the race? You can volunteer on their website and sounds like a ton of fun compared to watching as a fan.

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Looooong days. On duty before 7 AM and at the corner all day, every day. Great experience and a good seat, altho' it is only a single view. Just be prepared for the commitment and singular aspect.

Good viewing from a lot of different locations per the above. However, after several years, I like T15, high and far left (facing track).

Cheers,

Dave

Phl218 likes this.
  9. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Thank you! Good to know!

10. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I helped with air fence a couple of years and one year as a grid marshal and those were fun long days, but I could not see working a turn. They have the longest days besides the control people.

11. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

A group of four of us was planning to go to the race from all over the country (and Canada), but our ringleader and ticket supplier was seriously injured in a skiing accident last week. Thankfully he'll be okay, but has a long recovery ahead. It's likely we'll cancel our trip as a result. If anyone needs a really nice Airbnb rental for that long weekend, I can probably get you a very good deal on this place: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5423999?guests=1&adults=1

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Looks like I just got roped into some meetings in Austin from 4/8-12th....think it will be a bitch to try and find tickets etc this close to the race weekend?

Haven’t had a chance to sit down and start looking yet.

13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

You should be able to buy the GP tickets no problem, they've had the ticket booth open every year that Ive been for will-call and day of tickets.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Will PM you a contact # I have... tix definitely still available

You should be able to make the AF1 party too

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Thanks I do appreciate that.

So need a bit of advice here, looking to book my departing flight out of Austin on Sunday evening. The last 2 flights United has available leave at 6pm and 7:16pm. The Sunday schedule says the last race is MotoAmerica Superbike which ends about 4pm. I know the airport is literally right next to the track. Is getting from the stands over to the car park and then to the airport to make a 6pm flight feasible or is it a nightmare trying to leave the track around then?

I could either push it back to the 7:15pm flight which kind of sucks because its a red-eye with a stopover in Denver, or I could just leave a little early and miss the finish of MotoA race.

Thoughts?

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my buddy tried to fly to newark sunday eve...it was $1800 1 way. It will probably be a mad house leaving...

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Lots of peeps leave after the motogp race. However. That 15 min drive to the airport can easily become an hour. Better hitch a ride on a bike

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, an hour I can easily deal with. Even if that means skipping the MotoA race and just watching until the end of the GP, that would leave me ~2 1/2 hours until my flight.....assuming they stick relatively close to the posted schedule.

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/motogp/schedule

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

2 years ago with the camper in tow, we hd everything locked and loaded to head out in the victory lap. But we had the truck running next to us in the esses T4-6. That got us out in a breeze. So, if you’re quick and got good parking, i’d say it’s doable.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm thinking of doing the T15 grandstand and it says for that spot to park in Lot F which looks like you can take the back exit out and stay off the highway initially to go straight to the airport. From the brief stuff I've read it said this is slightly less busy than the other road out ??? Not sure if that's the case or not, as long as it's not taking like 2 hours to make that drive as I'm not going all the way back to Downtown or nothing.

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 9.53.31 PM.png