1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Brake Caliper Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by zieper41, Mar 9, 2019.

1. zieper41

zieper41 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to mount 06+ r6 calipers backwards/upside down?

Having a hell of a time bleeding the calipers on my b bike after installing a dry system. Currently no leaks but feels like air in system. Noticed I mounted the calipers so that the lines run to the bottom of the calipers. On my A bike the lines go into the calipers at the top.

If I move the calipers to the opposite sides then the lines would enter the caliper at the top. Would this make any difference?

2. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Clean the pistons, push them in and keep bleeding at the mc.

3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

If I read this right, you have the calipers on the wrong sides and will have a hell of a time bleeding them. The calipers should be mounted so the bleeder and banjo are on the top.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. zieper41

[​IMG]
    Yeah that's what I figured. Looks like I have them mounted upside down and on the opposite sides. Still would've figured they shouldve worked but I'll move stuff around and see what happens

5. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

6. zieper41

[​IMG][​IMG]

So this is what how the caliper should be mounted. Currently on my B bike I have the bleeder screw and line entering the caliper at the bottom which means I have the calipers upside down and on the wrong side. Never realized the calipers were directional. They mount up no problem and the wheel spins freely. Makes sense why the lines looked more tight than usual. Guessing this is why I've gone through 2 bottles of fluid and still feels like there's air in the lines and/or why the pistons aren't retracting properly

7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

It'll never work upside down because the air is trapped inside the caliper. The bleeder HAS to be on the top.

Imagine the caliper being a full 20oz Coke bottle. The air always stays at the topside. Even if upside down.

8. zieper41

Yup 100% right. Should work as intended once I switch it around. One of those simple problems I've been beating my head over for days now. I'll report back once its sorted out. Thanks guys

9. zieper41

Problem solved. Basic physics.....lesson learned. Don't install your calipers upside down...

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Make sure you put the bolts in afterwards.

badmoon692008 and 418 like this.
  11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

And torque then clip/wire them... Oh and bleed them too. o_O

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

You forgot how to bleed brakes, Bruce. Thats how long its been since youve been on a bike:p

13. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Not where I was going with that lol