1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dzus fasteners?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by britx303, Mar 9, 2019.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Looking to order these for a 99 r6. Never used them before,so not sure the "size". I see different sizes like 17mm,19mm etc. but not sure what its referring to.Whats used for bodywork......specifically bellypan to upper?

2. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

4. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Gapman’s suggestion is good enough.

Dave’s is a more tidy and sturdy approach.

Ive never had a problem with either.

6. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Both work but in my experience you can slightly bend the spring clips to follow the contours of the bodywork which gives a tighter fit between the upper and lower

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

CR750 likes this.
  8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Strange for sure. People have to be sure to use enough of the plastic shims to make them tight. I make them so tight that i can barely lock them into place. With the way they're designed, don't know how they would ever come out when they're nice and tight.

More than one way to skin a cat no doubt.

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ya know.....ive seen them on the ground in the paddock and often wondered about them falling out.Ive always used the machine screw and plates on my FZR's also.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Work better until you have a fire.... Dzus are designed for quick release... no tools... if you put them on right they won’t come off.. if your worried duct tape em.

11. beechkingd

I don't ever plan to try to remove my belly pan if my bike is on fire, I like my skin where it is.

MachineR1 likes this.
  12. rotax454

rotax454 Well-Known Member

I am with beechkingd on this one. Dislike Dzus fasteners. Sometimes they work---sometimes they don't. Sometimes a totally PITA to get fastened.
    Good suggestion on the Pegasus racing site. I use an airframe source. Better overall selection.

13. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Think about it: Dzus fasteners are plenty good enough to use on aircraft if installed correctly so race bodywork should be no problem.
    You don't shim with the plastic washers. You have to buy the correct length Dzus fastener to match the combined thickness of the bodywork panels or of the bodywork & bracket you are attaching it to.
    Google is your friend if you want to know how to do it right.

Odilup likes this.
  14. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

The dzus fasteners have specific sizes depending on the thickness of the bodywork you're clamping. Go too thick compared to your bodywork thickness and they may not clamp properly. Too thin and they won't twist shut completely.

15. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

TurboBlew, Bruce and Greenhound386 like this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Beside the fact that it will take longer to remove bodywork, the last thing I want is having to keep track of 10-32 screws that look virtually identical to a metric m5 screw.

sbk1198 likes this.
  17. beechkingd

Mine are counter sunk stainless MS24694c50 screws with stainless skin washers. They look nothing like a motorcycle part since it's aircraft hardware. With a drill they take the same amount of time as a dzus fastener to remove and they go in faster any dzus I've ever used. Just my personal preference, I despise dzus fasteners from having to work with them on airplanes. They are likely the oldest type of quarter turn fastener (pre WWII) and just don't work well. If I could get Camloc's to fit my bodywork without them hitting the engine I would certainly use them instead of screws.

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the newer generation of Dzus fasters works a lot better than the originals IMO. they are easier to mount, easier to use, easy to adjust tension, never had one come loose, etc.

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I worked on aircraft myself and I certainly preferred dealing with Dzus fasteners rather than the hundreds of phillips head screws. Those were a PITA! If the screws are what you like then have a party!

20. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Of course everyone is free to use what they like. I recently went to the dzus fasteners with the riveted clips and I really like them. More labor intensive to install, but much better performance.