1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half Time: Duke by 2 over UNC

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Mar 9, 2019.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I HATE this crap. I'm just waiting until the end so I can collect my $200 from these idiots and go home. Like watching paint dry.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty bummed that Zion likely won't lace them up again for Duke.

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Who dat? :D

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

What's with all the white power signs?!!!

5. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Why do you think this? Interested in your theory. Dook knows they are a number 1 or 2 seed. No need to rush him and winning today at UNC wouldn’t have them winnthe acc outright. Rest him and play him in the ACC tournament where if they dominate they can still get a #1 seed in the tournament.

6. zamboiv

hope you didn’t have Dook.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

He will not play again for them. The reason is he will go pro next year and does not want to risk another freak injury, like the shoe problem

8. zamboiv

I figured that’s where you guys were going with this.

Ok, I’ll lay this out and will either be proven completely wrong or can shed some light on this. There was no reason for him to rush back at the end of the season. He has stated multiple times he wants a national championship and even Coach K has stated he can sit and go pro if that’s whats best for Zion. Coach K isn’t going to BS around and play head games with his own team to play the media. This is tournament basketball where it’s single elimination, you say “he’s done and we move forward”.

Now, they have a bye until the quarters in the ACC tournament and they knew that before today. Why play him? He gave an update on Tuesday that he’s in phase 4 of a phase 4 process to get back on the court. They are playing it safe and hopefully he’s ready for some time in the ACC tournament.

Even if he’s not ready, at worst they’ll be a 2 seed. That means they’re clear until the elite 8 where they’d meet a 1 seed provided they get through.

I think I’d rest my top player and get him back to full strength knowing I’m good for a 2 seed, he can keep strengthening his knee until 3/14 and that’s for the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament.

My$0.02. Maybe I’m wrong but college basketball is the sport that I bet the most and spend hours each week handicapping games and understanding situational basketball and I don’t think he’s out for the season.

9. shakazulu12

Ten years ago, I would have been inclined to believe he would play. Not so much now. Truth is, Zion is the only one who knows, and I suspect he may still be pondering it actually so there isn't a clear cut answer at this point. Lotta back channels wanting him to sit out, and money talks. But I also recognize that he is a special kind of player that has a passion for the game. Still, not getting my hopes up of seeing him in a jersey again for Duke.

10. drop

drop Well-Known Member

My team got beat by a non top 25 team.....

Still yet

Go vols

shakazulu12 likes this.
  11. shakazulu12

BTW, more than happy to be wrong and see Zion play again.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

TL;DR

He was turning pro after his freshman season and his play during the season solidified that. College is just a way station for guys with his talent. Why would he risk the big payday playing for something he really cares nothing about?

13. zamboiv

Because he’s stated multiple times he wants a national championship. Yes he can still say he got one on the bench but he on the record stating he would’ve come to duke regardless if he could go straight to the NBA. Look, I hate the rule the NBA has in place that makes these kids wait to go pro. If you think his parents don’t have a large insurance policy on him you’re crazy.

Basically, they’re resting the top horse before the derby. Lastly, K was on record this morning stating he’s likely be back for Thursday’s quarters. If you’d have read my above statement, basically what I said.

14. zamboiv

Zion is 7/7 shooting with 5 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 steals with 8 minutes left in the first half.

No bad for someone that doesn’t care....

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

he's playing like there's no tomorrow.

16. zamboiv

Well Cuse is back in it. DUke loses they’ll be a 2 seed in the big tournament. Syracuse was a good long shot for this tournament because they’ve already beat duke, granted without Zion. It’ll be tough and they essentially will have to beat the three best teams in the conference in three days. However, at 50 to 1 you can likely start hedging if they win tonight and still get to positive money even if they upset UNC next.