1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 MotoGP fantasy league

Discussion in 'General' started by dsapsis, Mar 4, 2019.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Yes -- fingers crossed .com goes live.

The guys over at motogoat threw us a loop in that he has a weird scoring rule that wasn't in the old game and seems both stupid and highly consequential: deduct points for changes made after q1. That really is unappealing to me, so in lieu of the .com game, we will figure a roll-our-own application. To buy us time we probably will capture everyone's bets this week via a form uploaded to a central spot and made visible here to stay on the up and up. So, stand by on instructions, but be prepared to post up or enter a list of top 15 some time before race starts Sunday. Note it is a night race local, so I think the race is at 1 pm EST/10 am PST (the aussie is going to have to figure it out for himself!) so we will set play cutoff some time Sunday morning.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Payment sent

3. dsapsis

Did I miss this?
    That will be in the instructions. :beer:

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

In all fairness, I was not the only one affected, so you can call it the BigBird/Phl28/jonanthanp Rule :moon:

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Kramerica

Kramerica ISO: Intern named Darin

6. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Definitely hoping the MotoGP site comes through. I don't like the idea of there being a central database where everyone can see picks in real-time. I think that could affect strategy too much - especially in later rounds. Just paid, and in no matter what! Looking forward to it.

Oh, and I might be in the minority on this, but I like the points deduction for picks made after Q1. It rewards people for being able to make accurate picks with less data available to them.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. dsapsis

Papa has a special place in his heart for you, Bird. He is your personal mentor decreed to get you on the grid!

Good first point. I am sortof ok with transparency of picks for a couple rounds to help folks get the game figured out, but after that on your own (or not at all, as would be the case with .com) but we do need some sort of transparent mechanism to validate the scores.

On the penalty after q1, if the group decides to use motogoat, he said he could do it either way, and I like democracy. I'd call for a vote to see what the group's opinion on a rule variance was, and go with majority. Seem reasonable?

Greenhound386 and BigBird like this.
  8. Phil Wilkinson

Phil Wilkinson Well-Known Member

Payment sent

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The other guys didn't ask for a break, did they? :D

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. Kramerica

Kramerica ISO: Intern named Darin

Can't we just use Motogoat for hosting regardless of what MotoGP puts on their website?

Phil Wilkinson and BigBird like this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Given the choice, you should probably go with something that's proven. Just my opinion.

That said, it's now officially time to worry that MotoGP.com will not renew the game this year.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’m phl218

:D

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Which other guys?

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Jonathan and you.

16. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

MotoGOAT looks legit. I like it. I think we need to set a deadline to choose the interface. If MotoGP doesn't announce it by <whatever time> on <Friday or Saturday>, then we officially commit to MotoGOAT (or whatever else). Gotta give folks some time to register and get familiar with the site, and we're running out of time.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. dsapsis

Im good with that greenhound. Let's set that time as tomorrow morning 1000 EST (I should be up and coffee'ed by 0700)?
    Im busy most of today so will out of touch till tonight. Catch up then.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, that sounds unappealing.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to go with the known quantity if possible, but also agree we should set a deadline. I registered with Motogoat and am checking it out now.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

so talking with the MotoGOAT developer, the scores that are displayed on the site will have penalty, but he'll send us over at the end of the round, probably Monday through email or whatever, the actual scores without penalty.

So what you see on the site points wise will not be the actual scores we go by, that is until he gets time to work with a no penalty option.

That is similar to us reporting scores from the previous official website, it'll just take a day or so as he manually inputs the winners and stuff from the previous day. So far he's been fairly responsive to our requests, so I think at least for now it should be a legit option for us to use.

As a comparison, this was a backup form I made. The entry could be edited, and I think I set a 30 minute before race cut-off. We would be in control of this in totality, which is the main plus, and I think it works on cell.

https://goo.gl/forms/DmFbwRpI47PqMVSx2

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Phl218 and Greenhound386 like this.